Sunday 10 August 2014

The expected heavy rain and strong gusty winds arrived this morning, meaning a rare Sunday morning lie in for me, followed by a leisurely breakfast  :-)

By 10:00hrs I became restless and soon headed off out for a look around the Greenhouse Grounds and Migrant Alley, the rain wasn't too bad at first, but within half an hour I was caught out in a big thunder storm, forcing me to shelter under the poly tunnels until the rain relented a little, allowing me to make a dash for home, meanwhile the only bird I saw of note was a CHIFFCHAFF!

It was 14:00hrs before I got out again, the skies had brightened somewhat, however there was a gale blowing, but it felt very warm still. I manged to get a circuit of Migrant Alley completed, but there were no migrants about, only the Corvid flock and around 150 STARLINGS were out on the paddocks and sheep pasture. A LESSER BLACK BACKED GULL and a BLACK HEADED GULL were seen passing through on the gale, which the HERRING GULLS made light of as they barely flapped a wing, seemingly mocking the the wind  :-)

A short skywatch was made difficult as I struggled to keep my binoculars steady, but I did pick out a HOBBY chasing the SWALLOWS, plus a few HOUSE MARTINS went over high up. It wasn't long though before the sky turned black again, so I conceded defeat for the day, there is always tomorrow  :-)

Images today are from yesterdays visit.........




Immature Robin

3 comments:

Marc Heath said...

The first shot to me eye does not seem to have locked on to the subject, the rest however are first class detailed shots.

Warren Baker said...

I think I over-cropped the first image Marc!

Pete Woodruff said...

A rare Sunday lie in, a change is as good as a rest they say. But by 10.00hrs you became restless....sounds just like you Warren.