Monday 16 June 2008

A bright start to the day, even quite warm, but it soon went downhill, with showers and a cool breeze. The SPOTTED FLYCATCHER was again seen in the college grounds, as I walked home from work, and SKYLARK, SONGTHRUSH, BLACKBIRD and LINNET, were all performing well.
An afternoon walk to the lake area was a little dull, like the weather. I didn't catch up with any Damsel or butterflies, and the only birds on the lake were half a dozen mallards, the males in their eclipse plumage, and a few MOORHENS. However some song was heard from BLACKCAP, CHIFFCHAFF, TURTLE DOVE and WHITETHROAT. I walked back through the tree nursery and sat down for some skywatching. All that flew over were a couple of LESSER BLACK BACKED GULLS. A pair of Whitethroats were feeding young nearby, and a CUCKOO called and was seen in a sycamore tree some 50m away, just across from where I was sitting a Songthrush began singing and continued for the half hour I was there. Nearing home as I walked up ashes lane, I could hear the sound of young birds in the hedge, I stopped and waited and out came a female chaffinch, always nice to find a nest, no matter how common the bird.

No comments: