Saturday 14 June 2008

This morning was perfect for birding, a bit of sun, a bit of cloud, and only a light breeze. I spent 4 hours from 06:30 bashing my patch, and found 49 species, roughly as expected, but no Cuckoo, Garden Warbler or Willow Warbler was seen. On the positive side two LESSER WHITETHROATS sang, the first since the 8th, as did a TREECREEPER from the golfcourse. A TURTLE DOVE ''Purred'' from the scrub headland at migrant alley, and a LITTLE OWL called and was then located on a fencepost, on the edge of a small copse next to the greenhouses. Two GREY WAGTAILS were in one of the college carparks, not far from the stream, and they posed for a picture atop of a traffic cone!
Recently fledged NUTHATCH'S were seen in the wet woods, and newly fledged GOLDFINCH'S visited my garden, its good to find two more confirmed breeding species on my patch.
Butterflies were few, but I did find my first MEADOW BROWN of the year.

Grey Wagtail on a traffic cone
My first Meadow Brown butterfly of the year.

Juvenile Goldfinch at garden feeeders


8 comments:

Simon said...

I am yet to see a Meadow Brown yetthis year.

Josh Jenkins Shaw said...

I've quite a few meadow browns this year. Great photos, I love the grey wag. Brilliant!
josh

Mike said...

Nice shots here Warren and on your previous posts, the Linnet shot in particular is very nice. Mike

Warren Baker said...

seems butterfly species are a bit hit and miss this year chaps.

Thanks Mike,
Its more luck than judgement :-)

lee said...

thankyou for the information on the peregrine at the tower warren love your bloggs its kind of strange that theres 4 or more writing on these kent bloggs in very close prox too each other ie barming malling pembrey wetstead and hadlow makes it more interesting i followed three cranes down the medway valley by computor they landed on my patch so i took a walk and found out a week later i missed them by one field tecnology you got love it

lee said...

i must get my head around these comma thingys sorry poor education

Steve said...

Nice pictures Warren. Really like the Meadow Brown. I'm yet to see one this year as well...

Warren Baker said...

Lee,
Where's your patch?

Steve,
You should be seeing M.B. soon !