Tuesday 10 June 2008

It was another warm walk to work this morning, and the first bird encountered was a KESTREL, flying over ashes Lane,the local SWALLOWS doggedly chased it out of their territory. SONGTHRUSH'S, BLACKBIRDS and ROBINS were the only songsters heard along the lane, but at migrant alley, a SKYLARK was singing high up in the blue, and a pair of LINNETS were sitting on a fence line. A GOLDCREST was again singing at the college, and on one patch of lawn I counted 8 Blackbirds and a SONGTHRUSH.
It was hot again in the afternoon, so I left it until 17:30 until going out for an hour around the tree nursery and the fields at migrant alley, even then it was still very quiet. I did hear a CUCKOO though, and a CHIFFCHAFF sang in the distance. Atop a fir tree a YELLOWHAMMER was giving his distinctive call, and as I watched, a Couple of HERRING GULLS flew over.
I didn't find any damsel or butterflies, funny how they are here one day and gone te next!

Yellowhammer

A fully fledged and independent Blue Tit, one of many seen at the garden feeders.

3 comments:

Josh Jenkins Shaw said...

Hi, no butterflies or damsels here either, there were loads yesterday! I hope its good weather for the week end!
Josh

Stewart said...

Nice pics PW I had my first Azure today too...

Warren Baker said...

Hope your better at identifying them tan i am BB, takes me ages to sort 'em out!