Wednesday 14 March 2012

The sun was back this afternoon, which made for a much more pleasant visit to the lake area. On the way it was all pretty quiet still, although a few mixed finch's were seen in the Small Holding, as well as just a single REDWING, and a GREEN WOODPECKER. A TREECREEPER was seen in the We Woods, and a GREAT SPOTTED WOODPECKER drummed in the distance.

When arriving at the lakes, nothing was to be seen on the water apart from 2 CANADA GEESE, I didn't see the Coots, but they may have been dozing somewhere unseen  In the warm sunshine, most of the birds had gone quiet, I didn't hear the Chiffchaff today, but a GOLDCREST was seen well, and I could just about hear a BULLFINCH calling, the normally reliable garden feeders were checked, but the reason for much of the quietness became apparent when a SPARROWHAWK flew from the tree the feeders were hanging from!

Not hanging about too long, A walk was made over to Migrant Alley, on the way the KESTREL was seen up hunting over the Tree Nursery, where the only bird seen among the shrubs was the inevitable Green Woodpecker, they're everywhere!

I Checked the paddocks and fence lines over at Migrant Alley, hoping for that early migrant Wheatear, but it wasn't to be today, just Corvids, WOODPIGEONS and yes, another two Green Woodpeckers were about the sum of it. I had a 45 minute sky watching session, and manged some more views of the Kestrel, plus the third raptor for the afternoon, when a COMMON BUZZARD went high over, (Edit- In fact it was a Marsh harrier, thanks for putting me right Neil, Marc and Dean ) two LONG TAILED TITS were flitting in the tall hedge behind me, I took some photo's but had accidentally left the camera set to its maximum aperture, which made for some shallow depth of field shots, which ruined them  :-(

Here they are anyway!  :-)
Long Tailed Tit
Long Tailed Tit
I also took a photo of the Buzzard, but it was a bit too high really.
Not a Buzzard, but a MARSH HARRIER !!
A couple of young rabbits watched on.............
Young Rabbits  :-)
I left for home, giving myself time for a sit in the garden, hoping that yesterdays Brambling would show up again, unfortunately it didn't, this COAL TIT did come in, but chose to feed on the peanuts behind the bars - another almost shot, oh well, that sums up todays photo's I think !!
Garden Coal Tit


15 comments:

Greenie said...

Warren ,
Somehow missed your Brambling last night . You must be one of the 'few' who got a sighting this Winter . Well done with the Mandarin today .
Snap with the Buzzard .

Warren Baker said...

Hi Greenie,
Bramblings have been a bit scarce this winter, as you say, I was well chuffed with this one :-)

Millhouse Photography said...

Very cute little rabbits mate. You got some sun eh? No such luck for us North Westerners today - gloom, gloom an gloom.

Great to see a brambling too - never had the pleasure.

ShySongbird said...

That bunny shot is so sweet, Warren :-) and well done with the LTT in flight, I would have been left with just the twig ;-)

I do hope those Coots haven't done a runner!!

Phil said...

You're right about the Green Woodies Warren. A couple of hard winters doesn't seem to have done too much damage (hopefully).
Just you and me with the Bramblings this year then!

Neil Burt said...

Hi Warren,

Thanks for your comments on my blog. Some great photos there.

I would question the id of your high flying Buzzard though. It looks like a Marsh Harrier (cream-crown) to me.

Good birding.
Neil.

Warren Baker said...

Thanks Neil,
Do you know I kept looking at that ''Buzzard'' as it got higher and higher, and it did look a bit odd, you've got me wondering now, have to check my other photo's.......could I have been a very lazy observer today !!!

Marc Heath said...

Its a Marsh Harrier, shape etc a give away. You must clean those binoculars Warren.

Pete Woodruff said...

Green Woodpeckers everywhere....a very interesting comment Warren. As you say, this sounds very much like a contradiction to the last sentence on Birds2blog today.

Pete Woodruff said...

By the way....I'm sticking with your high flying Buzzard Warren.

Anonymous said...

The forecasted rain over the weekend might just dump some migrants on us, Warren.

Anonymous said...

Having just pinched your raptor pic, Warren and enlarging it, i have to agree with Neil. "Cream Crown" Marsh Harrier it is.

Neil Burt said...

Not at all. The glory of digital photography and Blogs in aiding identification is all part of the fun.

Wilma said...

great timing on the LTT taking off.

Rohrerbot said...

I love the flight shot! Perhaps the Brambling will make a return. It's interesting to discover that rain or sunny weather trigger certain behaviors. We have a rain event happening this weekend and I spot different birds on these outings so we'll see what pops up. The bunnies sticking their head up from the grass is really a great shot as well. All my best. Chris