Wednesday 26 March 2008

It was mild and still this morning on my way to work, and as I passed the large greenhouse complex I saw a new species for the month -a KESTREL, a superb male serveying the area, much to the dislike of 4 or 5 PIED WAGTAILS , that constantly mobbed him. The rest of the walk was as usual, a few BLACK HEADED GULLS at migrant alley, with just a dozen or so FIELDFARE, seems they are moving on now.
I encountered the Kestrel again on the way home, so after a well deserved cuppa, I went out to try and photograph it, but the sharp eyed falcon wouldn't let me near enough. I walked over to migrant alley, with the aim of doing some more skywatching, but a heavy shower put pay to that, so it was back home to watch the feeders. Not much going on here, the usual Tits, Finch's and doves. I couldn't really settle down and do anything today, its getting near to the main migration time, and right now we're stuck in the gap between the main spring arrivals, and the winter migrants all going or already left, its like waiting for christmas!!

I noticed the garden was coming into bloom today, this Primula is one of the early flowers I planted in my wildlife garden, to help out any early emerging insects.
Also helpful for the early bees, this hyacinth (is that how you spell it ?)

This is the first flower on my Marsh Marigold, it has flowered every year since I planted it in Aug 2000.


I keep seeing this Robin, perched in this alder tree, singing its heart out. It must have a nest nearby.



1 comment:

Travis said...

Those are very interesting flowers. They certainly make for good photos. I really like the first one. It is beautiful.