Friday 14 March 2008

A sign of spring on the way into work this am, when a female BLACKBIRD few across my path and landed on a nearby tree, it was carrying a beak full of nesting material. ROBINS, CHAFFINCH, MISTLE THRUSH and SONGTHRUSH all sang, as well as GREENFINCH, GOLDCREST, and DUNNOCK, but no Chiffchaff was heard, they'll be here anyday now.

After lunch I went back out to sit and listen/watch at migrant alley, but all I heard were sheep! The final bit of manure spreading was also taking place. I walked round the boundary of the pasture, and paddocks but little was seen, apart from a PHEASANT, and 4 flyover GREY LAG GEESE.

A half hour garden watch produced the first WREN of the month, the 20th species to use the garden this month. Also the BRAMBLING was back, and was more confident, feeding closer to the house.

I passed through migrant alley, and saw that the lambs were all out in the field, most of these were born at the weekend.





WREN, 20th species in the garden for March


Not a very good photo, but I liked the ''action'' shot. I caught the wren as it took off, looks like a moth!


My old friend the BRAMBLING




2 comments:

Simon said...

Great photo of the Brambling. I wish a Brambling would come to feed in my garden!

Heard 4 Chiff Chaff singing in Leybourne Lakes Tuesday - my first heard singing this year.

Warren Baker said...

Simon,
Keep looking, and keep feeding, it will happen!!