Wednesday 19 March 2008

Mistle Thrush


I walked over to the lake via the wet woods this afternoon, just to check for Blackcap song, or maybe a Redpoll. Neither was found, but I did find the overwintering LITTLE GREBE on the lake, now coming into its breeding plumage. At least 2 CHIFFCHAFF called and sang in the adjacent wooded area. In the wet woods 2 TEAL were present, but little else of note. I cut across the tree nursery to get to migrant alley, work was still causing disturbance to that area, I did see a couple of LESSER BLACK BACKED GULLS fly over, with a BLACK HEADED GULL. A scan around migrant alley didn't turn up the migrant Wheatear that was present yesterday, but a LITTLE EGRET was seen to fly up from the Stream behind the college, a new species for the month. This morning I counted 123 FIELDFARE on the manured fields, but there were probably another 50 that I couldn't see, hiden by the undulations of the field. The only REDWINGS were 20 that flew over and 1 that was in the college grounds.

1 comment:

Mike said...

Nice shot of the Mistle Thrush Warren, little grebes are great little birds never still. Still great numbers on your patch.