Thursday 13 March 2008

Once again the only noteworthy birds seen on the walk into work, were the winter thrushes. A gathering were in some tree tops, chattering away before coming down onto the pasture, at least 75 birds were present. On the way back home I counted 168 birds before they all took off, mostly they were FIELDFARE about a quarter were REDWING, also around 50 STARLING were there.
I got home, had a cuppa, and a sandwich, put on my coat, grabbed my bins and camera and headed out. 10 mins later it started to rain and the wind got up again! I promptly abandoned the idea of a Chiffchaff hunt, in favour of a garden birdwatch. I was soon convinced this was the better option, when a BRAMBLING came in, I really am being spoilt by this winter visitor, I've seen it more times in 2008 than all other years put together, they are normally scarce here, even in good years. Other visitors to the feeders included GREAT and BLUE TIT, in threes and fours at a time, GREEN, GOLD, and CHAFFINCH in similar numbers, DUNNOCK, HOUSE SPARROW, the latter was the 10th species to be recorded, and then only two came in, ROBIN, COLLARED DOVE, BLACKBIRD and STARLING, all fed on the ground spillages, again the latter species was conspicuous by its scarcity, just two came in, and was the 12th species to be seen. NUTHATCH, WOODPIGEON and GREAT SPOTTED WOODPECKER rounded of the list.
In the vacinity of the house were, FIELDFARE, CARRION CROW,JACKDAW,MAGPIE, MALLARD,MISTLE and SONGTHRUSH,PIED WAGTAIL,GREEN WOODPECKER, HERRING GULL and in the distance it was good to see the ROOKS busy at their rookery, thier nest seemingly survived the recent high winds. 26 species in all, a nice total for 2 and a half hours.

Sorry for the picture quality, it was dull and rainy!! (any excuse)

More pics of the brambling, you'll have to forgive my indulgence, but it will probably be a while before I see these in the garden again so frequently
More BRAMBLING

One More!


GOLDFINCH (common, but a favorite of mine)



GOLDFINCH on sunflower feeder, with GREENFINCH




This BLACKBIRD came in for a wash and scrub up at my mini pond





GREY SQUIRREL, not such a welcome customer


The first CUCKOO FLOWER this year (or LADIES SMOCK as it is also know as) I'm proud to say its in my garden, in an enviroment I created!!







No comments: