Tuesday 25 October 2011

It was slightly more Autumnal today, but still quite warm with a few sunny spells and a southerly breeze. Bird activity increased a bit from yesterday, but then, it couldn't have been any slower!  My walk to the lakes and Scrubby Woods, via the Tree Nursery, was punctuated with the calls of the occasional MEADOW PIPIT, SISKIN and LESSER REDPOLL as they flew over. Two LONG TAILED TIT flocks were stumbled upon, one had a CHIFFCHAFF with it, the other had GOLDCREST with it, which I tried making into a Firecrest or Yellow Browed Warbler - no chance!

Over at the lakes a GREY HERON was fishing contentedly, and a dozen MALLARD plus 5 MOORHENS dabbled about, while watching the lakes a Corvid gave the ''Raptor'' call and looking up I saw a BUZZARD fly over. Two more Goldrest, a  TREECREEPER, NUTHATCH, GREEN and GREAT SPOTTED WOODPECKERS plus a few BULFINCH were seen in the Scrubby Wood.

After an hour or so I made my way back over to the Tree Nursery, and Pub Field, where a GREY WAGTAIL was feeding on the run off pool, on the Pub Field, just the Corvids and WOODPIGEONS fed, but as i scanned over the field, a flock of 5 LAPWING went over, sadly they didn't come down to join the Pigeons  :-(  .  A KESTREL hunted over the hedgerow between the Pub Field and Tree Nursery, then a few moments later the SPARROWHAWK was seen up hunting over the Wet Woods and the gardens along Ashes Lane. The only other bird of note was a single YELLOWHAMMER that flew over.

Ive got the next three days off work, so weather permitting I should be out for full patch walks for the rest of the week  :-)

Long Tailed Tit



Green Woodpecker

10 comments:

Pete Woodruff said...

Still keeping an eye on you and events up and down the country Warren. Two excellent images today, and three days off work now to get some records accumulated....WOW!!

Mike said...

Green Woody still on my wish list of birds to see but so far ive had no luck.

Rohrerbot said...

I did a little bit of birding up in Colorado Springs this past weekend and saw some really interesting birds. Now I know this doesn't sound right but I really like your shots of Tit bird family. I've never seen that particular Tit before. And that woodpecker has really unique coloring. I discovered my first magpie? on our trip and got some great shots of it in flight. I think about how you must be so patient waiting for birds to take flight. 300 rapid shots...and only 5 good ones:( but they are good! Now if I could sit down and get them online like you do everday!

Ornitocampero.blogspot.com.es said...

I am lookin forward to have the oportunity with the freen woodpecker like you had...well done!
Bye.

Bob Bushell said...

Your photos are getting really superb.

Jason K said...

I'm sure some of those Lapwing will come down on the deck soon Warren.

Nice LTT photo by the way

Sharon said...

Warren, that photo of the LTT is gorgeous!
Enjoy your 3 days off, looking forward to hearing about your new records - no pressure :)

Alan Pavey said...

Hope you have a good few days off, great pics again Warren :-)

Tim James said...

Delicious LTT shot Warren.

eileeninmd said...

Great birds and photos. I just love the Green Woodpecker. Happy Birding!