Thursday 14 May 2015

A heavy price was paid for the 'perfect early summers day' of yesterday, for this morning was the exact opposite, being cold and grey with spits of rain early in the morning before steady persistent rain moved in around 10:00hrs, which lasted all day - awful weather!

I made what I could of the couple of hours 'better' weather early on, making a visit to the Ashes Lane Fields, then walking a circuit of Migrant Alley before having a short sky watch. Of course in the cool and damp conditions little was seen. I saw 15 CANADA GEESE grazing on the Ashes Lane Fields, Migrant Alley had the usual ROOKS, CARRION CROWS and JACKDAWS on the sheep pasture, along with a small flock of a dozen or so STARLINGS, while overhead the SWALLOWS tried to glean whatever insect life was about.

My sky watch did at least provide a bright spot for the visit when a lone YELLOW WAGTAIL (62) was heard, then seen flying over, but apart from that and a FEW HERRING GULLS, 2 LESSER BLACK BACKED GULLS and a GREY HERON it was a morning to forget.

As I was leaving for home I watched the male KESTREL up hunting at the Greenhouse Grounds, it caught a vole and took it up to the nest box, when it entered the box, the female flew out, leaving the male to feed the young ? I wonder if there are young yet?

No chance of any photo's today and the 'blog photo folder' has run dry  :-(

1 comment:

Warren Baker said...

Derek,
Yes, I did give thought for the newly fledged birds today, seems to happen in most years now :-(