Monday 18 May 2015

Another of those wet and windy mornings that have been plaguing this month was had this morning, I spent just 90 minutes out before calling it a day, as there was little about.

I had a walk around the fields and paddocks of Migrant Alley, then checked the Greenhouse Copse and the Greenhouse Grounds before the heavy rain set in. There was a small flock of 10 or so LINNETS on one of the paddocks, plus an adult and immature LESSER BLACK BACKED GULL were on the sheep pasture, the adjacent field had 3 each of CANADA and GREYLAG GEESE, but a bit later I watched a mixed flock of these geese fly over, 50+ of them flew in an Autumnal like manner.

CHIFFCHAFF and BLACKCAP were heard to sing from the Greenhouse Copse, as did a TREECREEPER, the LITTLE OWL flew past me and into the copse, coming from the direction of the Greenhouse Grounds, where the male KESTREL was hunting again and the 2 -3 WHITETHROATS were heard singing/calling.

A short skywatch produced a BUZZARD, a couple of SWIFTS, a lone HOUSE MARTIN, plus a GREY HERON, but that was my lot for the morning.

Good job I saved some images of the dragonflies from yesterdays visit...................

My first Four Spotted Chaser of the year,  :-)

Also my first Broad Bodied Chaser of the year, I had more time with this species, so got a few more images.




8 comments:

Marc Heath said...

Crackers Warren. Very nice detail in them.

Warren Baker said...

Cheers Marc :-)

Simian said...

hello Warren
super pictures of the dragonflys...! ive seen damselfly by the pond in the garden here but no dragonfly yet...though there have been a couple of larvae shedding their skin...are they referred to as instars?
back to blackcap...yes...they will breed this year...i dont think they have time to hang around for a year before...bit like most passerines...they might not make it that long!!
Graham

Wilma said...

I expected those broad bodied chasers to leap out of the screen any second - so vivid and detailed!

Noushka said...

Oh my, what an impressive array of dragons!
Brilliant focus an bokehs, some of the best shots I've seen with Marc's!
You were lucky Mrs depressa let you come close, mine didn't!!
Oh well, I will soon publish a mating wheel of Harry's!! LOL!!
I hope your weather is better than ours, so bad we are fleeing for the rest of the week to Spain!
Keep well Warrren, enjoy the week :)

Warren Baker said...

Thanks for getting back Graham.

The damsels and dragons go from Larvae, to Exuviae, to Teneral then adult :-)

Warren Baker said...

Wilma,
watch out!

Warren Baker said...

Thanks Noushka, I look forward to seeing ''Harry's'' mating wheel!

Weather is a usual here.......RUBBISH!