Friday 1 May 2015

For a bit of a change this morning, I met up with a good friend and headed off out to Bough Beech reservoir, arriving at just before 06:30hrs.

In some very chilly conditions we encountered 62 species in the 3 hours we were there, 6 of those being first sightings for me this year, they were Sedge Warbler, Reed Warbler, Garden warbler, Swift, Common Tern and Common Sandpiper, plus the spring migrant species of Common Whitethroat, Chiffchaff, Blackcap, Swallow, Sand Martin and House Martin were also around in good numbers  :-)

We were back at Pittswood for a 90 minute visit around parts my patch by 11:00hrs, where we picked up 41 of the regular species to be found here, helping to kick off my May list.

Best patch sightings today were watching 5 BUZZARDS soaring over Migrant Alley and the male KESTREL hunting at the Greenhouse Grounds, the likes of Nuthatch, Treecreeper and Sparrowhawk weren't seen, but they will be picked over the weekend no doubt.

My target for this May will be to beat the best May tally of 74 species, which was achieved last year, this will be a tall order, as many of the spring migrants that used to breed here no longer do, but with some long hours of sky watching, I might just pick up a few nice passage birds. The 14 year combined May bird list stands at 95 species, maybe a good percentage of those will visit this month  :-)

May should also bring out more of the Butterfly species, plus of course the Dragon and Damselflies, providing this weather warms up! Much to look forward to then!

Photo's today are of the Common Sandpiper, a bit distant but good enough  :-)

Common Sandpiper at Bough Beech

This species has once been recorded on my patch, that being a flyover only.





3 comments:

Marc Heath said...

Very nice set of shots. Managed my first Broad bodied Chaser tonight. Photos on blog later hopefully if they come out alright.

Warren Baker said...

Marc,
I await their arrival here, normally I have to wait a couple of weeks after your first sightings

Pete Woodruff said...

A good list from Bough Beech and Pittswood, and as you say....much to look forward to.

The top shot of the CS wins it for me Warren.