Saturday 22 October 2016

This morning was clear and sunny, with a light NW wind, variable amounts of cloud slowly built up during the afternoon.

I made a visit to the lakes first thing this morning, but had no luck with any duck species there, just the usual MALLARDS ans MOORHENS on the water, although a CORMORANT flew over, it didn't visit. The nearby out buildings had a GREY WAGTAIL feeding around them, while at the adjacent Scrubby Woods I recorded SISKIN, BULLFINCH, GOLDCREST, COAL TIT, LONG TAILED TIT, REDWING, GREAT SPOTTED WOODPECKER, NUTHATCH and TREECREEPER of note.

Walking over to the Greenhouse Grounds, across the Ashes Lane Fields, I watched 37 FIELDFARE fly SW, a few SKYLARKS and MEADOW PIPITS were also observed passing over. At the GREENHOUSE Grounds, another, or maybe the same Grey wagtail was at the water intake area, where I was very surprised to see a KINGFISHER visit briefly. The female KESTREL was perched up on one of the greenhouses, the only other raptor species seen today were a couple of BUZZARDS that were up soaring over Migrant Alley.

Later this afternoon I at last got the chance to use my camera, just a couple of shots of the garden GOLDFINCHES, but it was an enjoyable session  :-)


Goldfinch


5 comments:

Marc Heath said...

Nice shots Warren and lovely lighting. A few shots for me too at Nethergong including a new bird for the year.

Marc Heath said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Warren Baker said...

Marc,
it was good just to use my camera again!

Pete Woodruff said...

Yes, nice shots of the Goldfinch, 40 in our garden this afternoon, an all time record there.

Enjoy the weekend Warren.

Warren Baker said...

I will do Pete :-)