Thursday 29 July 2010

After saying yesterday that I thought the SPOTTED FLYCATCHERS had left already, I was instantly proved wrong, when two adults were seen in the College Grounds as I passed through on the way to work. Where have they been hiding ?

This afternoons walk took me to the lakeside Scrub, via the Small Holding and Wet Woods, the former had both GREAT SPOTTED and GREEN WOODPECKER as well as a JAY, a familiar trio here. The Wet Woods were dark and silent, as is the way this time of year, but once I got to the 'proper' habitat, of the Scrub, it all changed.

Passing the Lake I saw 17 CANADA GEESE, a single GREYLAG GOOSE and two MALLARDS, a SPARROWHAWK went low over - the same tatty moulting female that I saw the other day. In the scrub area, I could straight away here the a BULLFINCH calling and a TURTLE DOVE 'Purring', a single BLACKCAP gave some song, and whilst looking up for Purple Hairstreak Butterflies I saw two HERRING GULLS go over. As I walked further along, a family group of Blackcaps were seen, feeding on the first of the ripening blackberries, with them was at least one COMMON WHITETHROAT, and, at last, a sighting of a GARDEN WARBLER (61) the first recorded since May!

A small feeding group of birds were seen in a large Oak, including TREECREEPER, NUTHATCH, COAL TIT, and GOLDCREST, but strangely not one Blue or Great Tit was with them.

After having my fill of the Purple Hairstreaks, I took a wander over to Migrant Alley for a skywatch, which gave me exactly the same birds as yesterday, KESTREL, HOBBY and another Sparrowhawk. Also a few GOLDFINCH feeding on the thistle seeds and three pairs of LINNETS associating with the Greenhouse Complex, where all the old raspberry canes have been thrown out.


Below is a photo of the Scrub area, showing some of the Willowherb, maybe a tempting place for a Marsh Warbler to visit ( In my dreams!)


I also took a photo of this young ROBIN, freshly into his winter red breast.


Below is a Treecreeper, this just about as good a view as I had of it and the other birds it was feeding with.


Back to the Butterflies again, and why not, they won't be aroung for ever :-)

Above and Below a Purple Hairstreak

Once again a Brown Argus was found

Also this Peacock Butterfly with attendant wasp.
This Red Admiral had seen better days, and was sunbathing on a fence post at the Greenhouse Complex Grounds.


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

A good day then Warren and good photos to accompany it.

Bob Bushell said...

There is a load of really good photos Wareen.

Kelly said...

...glad you saw your Garden Warbler today, and the little robin is adorable!

Lancashire and Lakeland Outback Adventure Wildlife Safaris said...

Marsh Warbler! I'd be very happy with a Marsh Tit on my patch oh and can I have a Marsh Sand too please its a long time since I saw one of those...

Nice butterflies too Warren Peacocks & Red Ads not reappeared yet up here.

Cheers

Davo

Ken. said...

Hi Warren.
A very rewarding walk you had yourself, especialy finding the Flycatchers again. Not only some good birds, but also some lovely butterflies. I would love to see a Brown Argus, never the Hairstreaks either.
Nice butterfly photo's.

Ipin said...

No problems with the fat birder counter now, maybe Bo has fixed it?

kirstallcreatures said...

Lovely pics, especially the Purple Hairstreak, what a nice find. Linda

Monika said...

And here you thought you might not end up with a good total for July!