Tuesday 2 November 2010

Above : a view from inside the Wet Woods

Below : the Ornamental lake



As I open the back door to leave for work this morning, the male SPARROWHAWK (40) flew from its hiding place in the fir tree at the end of the garden, I didn't think it would evade the November list for long!

I made my way to work in exceptionally mild conditions, and as I crossed Migrant Alley I was pleased to see a LAPWING (41) fly out of the sheep pasture, a once familiar and numerous species here, but they are in trouble as a breeding species now, and I dont think i'll record them in the hundreds like I used to a few years ago, disturbance when they gather out on the pasture is also a limiting factor to seeing any great numbers now. Two other species made it onto the November list this morning, a single YELLOWHAMMER (42) on the fence line at Migrant Alley and three REDWINGS (43) that flew over the College Grounds.

This afternoon I had 90 mins out, in some windy but mild conditions, I visited the Lake area, as will be the norm now its getting near the winter months. I counted 42 MALLARDS, and 11 MOORHENS, but not one other species of duck could be bothered to join them !! I hung around for half hour or so, recording COAL TIT, NUTHATCH, BULLFINCH, SISKIN, and GOLDCREST, but couldn't find a Treecreeper, but that will come i'm confident on that :-) Before leaving for the Tree Nursery and stubbles at the Pub Field, I got distant views of a KINGFISHER (44) as it flashed across the Ornamental lake, an easy species to miss in November.

The Stubbles were being harrowed by a trainer driver from the College, and behind the tractor 37 BLACK HEADED GULLS and two HERRING GULLS followed, picking up the exposed invertebrates. 5 PIED WAGTAILS and 3 male CHAFFINCH also came in to feed. I spent 20 minutes in the Tree Nursery, but found very little today, however flyovers by first, STOCK DOVE (45) and
then, GREY HERON (46) were welcome additions to the months list.


8 comments:

Bob Bushell said...

Great morning for a walk in the wet trees.

ShySongbird said...

Nice to see more views of your patch Warren. I have managed to miss seeing even a flash of a Kingfisher for at least two years now!

Warren Baker said...

Have a long picnic lunch by the nearest water body Songbird, I bet one shows up :-)

Derek Faulkner said...

I must agree with Songbird, I too am enjoying the scenic views of your patch, nice to be shown round. Not sure about the flashing Kingfishers tho.

Warren Baker said...

Derek,
I did do a blog post once with step by step photo's of my patch as I went round.

I'll put up some more if the weather holds

Pete Woodruff said...

Wet, windy, and mild for a couple of days at least, but good luck, enjoy, and keep up the good work Warren.

Chris said...

Ok I send you one bohemian for a kingfisher, deal ??? ;-)
They have been playing with me like crazy those waxwings!!! Getting where I'm not and moving when I go to see them. grrrrr!!! I'll get them... meanwhile congrats on the many species you saw already...
The volcano has still not move but the ice-cap is melting and they think that the lava will come soon.... Well we will see..

Anonymous said...

The wet woods look a lot like the trees by the TPT on my patch Warren. Never get owt in mine though.