Wednesday 17 November 2010

Not much at all to report today, it barely got light at all, and by 15:30hrs it was dusk!

5 LAPWING that flew over Migrant Alley as I walked home from work were a nice treat, as was getting good views of a KESTREL sitting atop an Alder tree in the greenhouse Grounds. After a sandwich, I was out again by 14:00hrs, and it was under dark, rain threatening clouds that a dismal visit of the Lake area was made. The same 8 MALLARDS and 6 MOORHEN were on the water, and the same flock of a dozen or so SISKIN were in the same alder as yesterday, also the same as yesterday were a flyover LESSER REDPOLL, and the odd FIELDFARE, REDWING, SONGTHRUSH and MISTLE THRUSH moving around. No sign of a mixed feeding flock was had today, the most notable birds were GOLDCREST and BULLFINCH, at least 8 of the former were spread between the Small Holding, Wet Woods, and Lakeside scrub Area. With 5 weeks still to go before the shortest day, its proving to be a real challenge to find much at all in the afternoons now, but I'll keep trying :-)

PS. I have adde a new page to the blog. This will show the photo's of all the Butterflies I have recorded in Pittswood. You can access the page from the top of the sidebar. I will add more and more pics over the next few days - something to do in the dark evenings !

12 comments:

ShySongbird said...

'With 5 weeks still to go before the shortest day'...Oh, that is music to my ears, roll on the shortest day :)

It has been just as miserable here Warren, one of those days that wasn't a day really :(

Your butterfly photos have brightened things though, they are really lovely. I am very envious of the Clouded Yellow, I have never seen one, unless I can look back through my Brimstones and turn one of those into a Clouded :)

Warren Baker said...

Yep your right Songbird, it was a non -day :-)

I'll add more Butterflies day by day. It takes time to resize each photo and add them. Plus blogger keeps changing things after I publish them ! I'll let you know when they are all added.

Derek Faulkner said...

Jan,

You took the words right out of my mouth, or off my keyboard - can't wait for the shortest day and then the New Year, already dreaming of long, hot summer days.

Warren,
You managed to get through a blog without mentioning the LSW.

Phil said...

Five weeks will pass in no time Warren. Hopefully we'll soon get a nice frosty cold spell to liven things up.

Greenie said...

Warren ,
It certainly was a grim day .
But nicely brightened by your butterfly page . I look forward to more .

Warren Baker said...

Greenie,
If you spot any mistakes on the butterflies, let me know, or if their are any unsexed photo's you could tell me their genda :-)

Jason K said...

Thats a great butterfly gallery you have got there Warren...I'm so envious of the Clouded Yellow...one of those would be a patch first for me.

Sharon said...

Loving the Butterflies page Warren - just what we need on dark dank winter days :)

Pete Woodruff said...

A grim day up here in't north too with side lights on the car at 3.10pm.

The butterfly page is looking good, well done to you Warren.

Kelly said...

...cool, I hopped over to check out the butterflies. I like how you've created these new pages! The weather must be bad if birding was slow for you...

Anonymous said...

Rubbish all round here too Warren. Like Phil said, we need some hard frosts to spur some cold weather movement.

Chris said...

Same thing over here... It is getting darker and darker... Not much to see ;-)