Sunday 28 August 2011

The four hour full patch walk today started off in dull cloudy conditions, and the birding was just as dull to begin with. Very few birds were seen, but the species list was kept ticking over by the likes of the 3 Gull species that flew over, those being LESSER BLACK BACKED, HERRING and BLACK HEADED, also the GREYLAG GEESE, but there were far fewer of them this morning, and they were without the Canada Geese.

KESTREL and SPARROWHAWK were out early on hunting for breakfast, and a LITTLE OWL seen in the Small Holding was a good sighting. The summer species were well down in numbers today, with not a single Whitethroat seen, and just one BLACKCAP, and 5 CHIFFCHAFF, the Scrubby Woods had a good mix of species in it, but again only in ones and two's, the likes of COAL TIT, TREECREEPER, NUTHATCH, GOLDCREST, BULLFINCH and JAY all showed well.

After the full circuit was coming to an end, and I entered the Tree Nursery, I at last found something to excite me a bit, a lone WHEATEAR, I dont often find them away from Migrant Alley, but this is where they can be seen at times. Spurred on by that sighting, and the fact that the sun had just come out, I had another look around Migrant Alley, earlier it was empty of birds apart from ROOKS, but on this second visit I found at least 6 YELLOW WAGTAIL, with another two flying over some minutes later, at least two SAND MARTIN mixed in with the 30 odd SWALLOWS and 20 odd HOUSE MARTINS, plus the cheering sight of another two Wheatear on the paddocks, it just goes to show, sometimes things are worth a second look!

A quick skywatch gave me another two raptors for the day when both BUZZARD and PEREGRINE were seen circling around the area, which took the daylist to a creditable 48, surprising, when there were so few birds around.

Later in the day as my missus and I went up to the local church on the hill ( which over looks my patch) I saw around 60 Lapwing, unfortunately, just off my patch, i've not recorded Lapwing on my patch this month yet!

Once the sun came out the camera came into action, below is an Immature GOLDFINCH, and if you click on the image you can make out its first red face feather coming through
There were a number of Juv. Swallows on the fence lines at Migrant Alley, and I filled my boots with photo's







Below is one of the Wheatear at Migrant Alley

Lastly the painted Lady Butterfly, which was exactly where I saw it yesterday, on the thistles at Migrant Alley, this time it sat still!




8 comments:

Jason K said...

I've not managed to get photos of Painted Lady this year Warren...I've only seen one on my patch and it was just too flighty!

Warren Baker said...

Hi Jase,
This painted Lady has been around for two or three days - fortunately

Lancashire and Lakeland Outback Adventure Wildlife Safaris said...

Only had one PL this year very early on. Good pics!

Cheers

Davo

Bob Bushell said...

The Painted Lady Butterfly is tremendous, and juve Swallow, well, I don't need to mention it, its beautiful.

Marc Heath said...

Painted Ladies seem very thin on the ground at the moment. Great shot of it though and very nice Swallows.

Ken. said...

Hi Warren.
You did well getting 48 species for the day. Love the shots of the Painted Lady.
By the way did you go to church to pray for a more birds,or a record number for Seprember?

Kelly said...

...really nice photos, Warren. The swallows are beautiful and the colors in the butterflies are so rich.

Anonymous said...

I`ve not even seen a Painted Lady, this year. Cracking shots of it & the other stuff, Warren.