Friday 19 August 2011

The weather had cheered up this morning, making the walk into work a pleasure, it was made more pleasurable by the presence of another WHEATEAR at Migrant Alley, and whilst i watched it through my bins I heard the call of a YELLOW WAGTAIL, I looked up to see 4 of them drop down to feed in the paddocks, around the horses hooves, what a great start to the day :-)

On the walk home, things got even better, above the paddocks at Migrant Alley 3 BUZZARDS were soaring directly overhead, and as I scanned the fencelines for the Wheatear seen earlier, I found not one but four! Of course, after seeing that lot I was off home double quick to get my camera, with the following results :-)











I stayed around Migrant Alley for the rest of the visit, hoping for another passage bird to drop in, which never happened, but that was made up for by the number of Raptors seen. Two SPARROWHAWKS, a KESTREL, another Buzzard, and 3, possibly 5 HOBBIES! Three were seen together, and as they drifted higher and further away, two more came into view just seconds later, though they may have been two of the original 3.


A SWIFT was seen feeding with the SWALLOWS, as were a couple of HOUSE MARTINS, and two CORMORANTS circled round with a flock of HERRING GULLS. In all a very nice afternoon ;-)


The photo's below were taken whilst I ate a very light lunch in my garden

Above and below a wary STARLING on the Elder berries, they are super aware that the Sparrowhawk comes through here regularly :-)

Lastly this BLUE TIT was feeding on some Blackberries overhanging the garden wall


10 comments:

Jason K said...

What a stunning Wheatear Warren...superb photos too!

Bob Bushell said...

Brilliant photos of the Wheatear, well done Warren.

Marc Heath said...

Just back from 4 days camping with the family, nice Wheatear shots, especially the top one. I'm on Whinchat watch tomorrow, gotta be one down my way soon.

Rob said...

I'd like to take a Wheatear photo of this quality!
Saw a couple of Wheatear on the wooden fence at the Roman Villa today but couldn't get close.

Pete Woodruff said...

Understandably you 'went to town' on the Wheatear Warren....lovely images of a bird soon to wave bye bye to.

Rohrerbot said...

Love the Starling shots. I hope you frame your work:) Have a good weekend.

Anonymous said...

I agree, great Wheatear shots, Warren.

Greenie said...

Warren ,
Nothing left for me to say .
Would be well pleased to have taken any of those shots , well done .

Jason K said...

I have just been looking again at you Wheatear pics Warren and I think it is a contender for a 'Greenland' race bird. It has that brick/tangerine colour all over and looks fairly large/upright...I would do a bit of reasearch into it mate ;-)

Kelly said...

...Warren, these are really nice photos! Enjoyed them!