Tuesday 9 August 2011

I didn't get much birding done today as I have got builders at the house, and I was needed to be on hand. I did however get a brief walk around Migrant Alley early on, and had a bit of a Sky watch there.

I managed to relocate the REDSTART I found yesterday, it was in the same place - the Tall Hedge behind my sky watching seat. The walk round the paddocks and pasture, scanning the fence lines and posts for a 'chat' or Wheatear didn't produce any today, only the resident LINNETS and a few GOLDFINCH'S were found.

My sky watch was a bit more exciting, as I sat in the cold wind I saw a continual stream of LESSER BLACK BACKED and HERRING GULLS, mostly the latter, going over towards a newly harrowed field just off my patch, also a BUZZARD plus a SPARROWHAWK came low over, but more impressive was a pair of PEREGRINES. They were hunting as a pair, I watched the female chase and close in on a feral pigeon from behind and slightly below, but the pigeon out powered the Peregrine, little did it know that it was being driven into the path of the diving male bird, I missed the outcome when the action moved behind the treeline, but I think there was only one outcome to it!

I'll be back tomorrow with a full patch walk, but until then I'll leave you with some garden photo's. The first 3 are of a DUNNOCK, absolutely revelling in the sunshine :-)






The last one is of a BLUE and GREAT TIT on the fat balls


6 comments:

Bob Bushell said...

The Dunnock is having a good time, it is good to watch it.

Jason K said...

2 Peregrines on the patch...thats something not to be sniffed at. Nice Dunnock shots by the way

Anonymous said...

I agree with Jason regards the Dunnock pics.

Pete Woodruff said...

What's the builder doing Warren....putting up a hide!!

Warren Baker said...

Pete - I wish ! Just having the old concrete drive torn up and re done.

Alan Pavey said...

Nice pics Warren, nice to that the Redstart stayed around.