Wednesday 17 August 2011

A much better day was had today, with a few nice bits and pieces seen. First off, on the walk in to work, I found two more YELLOW WAGTAILS in the paddocks at Migrant Alley, and just a stones throw away at the College stables a pristine looking WILLOW WARBLER was seen.

After work I passed through Migrant Alley again, but nothing there migrant wise was noted, so after lunch I visited the lakes and Scrubby Woods. At last it had livened up a bit here, with a mixed feeding flock found, comprising of BLUE TITS, GREAT TITS, NUTHATCH, TREECREEPER, GOLDCREST, BULFINCH, CHAFFINCH, GOLDFINCH, BLACKCAP, CHIFFCHAFF anf GARDEN WARBLER, strangely though, no Long Tailed Tits.

A visit to the Tree Nursery didn't amount to much, until two HOBBIES came circling overhead, so another walk round Migrant Alley was had, here it had picked up a bit, with 45 LINNETS, 35 STARLINGS and best of all my 3rd WHINCHAT of the month, alas, it didn't allow any sort of approach for a photo :-( A short sky watch produced two very distant and off patch Buzzards, but the KESTREL seen hunting was very much on patch.

Certainly a much better day than yesterday!

I didn't get any bird photo's today, but I caught this Brown Hawker hiding in the brambles
I also found a few butterflies in the Scrubby woods, this Small Copper was in the best condition, it was with a more tatty Brown Argus and a Common Blue


A Green Veined White fed on the Ragwort


and this Speckled Wood sat on a dead birch branch nicely :-)


Lastly, this very small moth came into the garden whilst I ate lunch, any ideas of its ID ?


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think your moth is Pyrausta purpuralis, Warren. The markings can be quite variable.

Warren Baker said...

Just looked it up Dean, I think you are spot on, this was a worn specimen :-)

Warren Baker said...

Dean, forgot to say, it was on my thyme. which the larvea feed on :-)

Google is great aint it !!

Jason K said...

A nice selection of invert photos there Warren.

I like the Pyrausta purpuralis. Interestingly enough I get the closely related Pyrausta aurata in my graden around the mint.

Rob said...

A good variety of wings today Warren. I like that dragonfly spied through the vegetation.

Mike said...

Nice collection Warren an nice pics, Mike.

Ipin said...

Canny haul Warren!

Wilma said...

That brown argus is aglow with color, just beautiful.

Greenie said...

Warren ,
You did well getting the male Brown Hawker shot . They tend not to stay still for long .