Friday 6 July 2012

A mixed bag of weather today, I got a good soaking on the way home from work this afternoon, but it then cheered up a bit, with some short sunny spells, a cool wind blew, making it feel much cooler than yesterday though.

I didn't have much of a plan this afternoon, the Butterflies, Damselflies, and Dragonflies were not much in evidence without the warmth of the sun, so I didn't walk the Tree Nursery, instead I visited the Greenhouse Grounds and Migrant Alley to watch the KESTREL family, at one point it was they who watched me and I was inspected as one flew over to check me out, looks like the adult female.
Kestrel
The three nestlings made forays out from there nestbox tree, but always quickly returned at the slightest sign of any danger, the adults giving the alarm calls to them. I kept an eye on the sky for anything interesting, but not a lot went over, only a few HERRING GULLS, and a flock of 6 BLACK HEADED GULLS, and of course the SPARROWHAWK was up hunting, agitating the local SWALLOWS  :-)

The BLACKCAP and WHITETHROAT pair continue to feed young in the Greenhouse Grounds and the WREN pair were seen, having presumably now built their nest which I photographed them building on Wednesday and are now trying to raise a second brood, the first two photo's below are from Wednesday, the second two from this afternoon, what a contrast in lighting!
Nest building Wren
Nest building Wren   
Wren holding territory
Above Wren again
I didn't have too much more to see of note for the afternoon, two TURTLE DOVES flew out of a grassy area around the Greenhouses, and a family party of Linnets were about it for today. I'm hoping for a good visit tomorrow on my full patch walk, to pick up the few remaining regular species that need to be added to Julys' tally.
Male Linnet, shame it was on the framework of the poly tunnels!

8 comments:

Greenie said...

Warren ,
Love the 'moustachioed' Wren shots , and the clean shaven ones , just to be PC .
Only had an hour late afternoon up on the Common and saw almost nothing .

Millhouse Photography said...

Cracking Wren Warren - I can never get close to those guys.

ShySongbird said...

Be thankful you weren't here today, we had a steady downpour all day long without a break :-( :-( only at 8pm did it brighten up a little!

That Kestrel was definitely checking you out, it must have been very pleasant watching them :-) Great Wren photos and nice to see a close Linnet, they are always at a distance for me, at least I do see them nowadays though.

Warren Baker said...

Greenie, Songbird, Christian,

thanks for your Wren appreciation :-)

I remember saying spring was being washed away a day at a time, now it seems summer is doing the same, well very nearly!

Pete Woodruff said...

....and an excellent Little Owl header by the way Warren.

Rohrerbot said...

I also like the owl header. The Kestrel shot....fabulous!!! Nice work! Oh and the other made me laugh....the bird stuffing his beak:)

Anonymous said...

Stunning set of shots once agin, Warren.

Alan Pavey said...

Some outstanding photos Warren, the Wren singing is probably my favourite. I've almost forgotten where my Patch is!! Hopefully will get out this weekend?