Wednesday 4 June 2014

More rain fell this morning, at times heavy, so only a short patch visit was made, at least it gave me a chance to test out my wet weather gear for my trip to Wales at the end of the week!

Whilst at the Greenhouse Grounds, I bumped into the foreman, who told me he'd seen 4 KESTREL chicks on the edge of their nest box, I'll probably miss their fledging during my absence next week. I made a brief effort at a sky watch over at Migrant Alley, where I saw a few HERRING GULLS go over, and just two SWIFTS, they were probably thinking about heading south already! The local SWALLOWS struggled over the sheep pasture, stalling in flight until almost falling to the ground as they desperately tried to find a few insects. I soon got fed up standing in the rain and headed for the cover of the Scrubby Woods and lakes.

On the water I saw the TUFTED DUCK pair again, as well as the GREYLAG and CANADA GEESE, just 2 MALLARDS were seen, and at least 3 families of MOORHEN, plus the MUTE SWAN and COOT family, who didn't seem to even notice the pouring rain.

In the Scrubby Woods, BLACKBIRD song was very evident, as it usually is when its wet, but I also heard BLACKCAP, CHIFFCHAFF, COAL TIT and GOLDCREST singing, and heard BULLFINCH, TREECREEPER and NUTHATCH calling, no sign of any Long-tailed Tits or Turtle Dove for the months list though and there wasn't any newly fledged young found for the likes of Bullfinch, Collared Dove or Songthrush, not really surprising in the conditions.

Another patch visit without the camera, i'm running out of photo's now! I just have a few garden bird images and male Common Blue Damsels left, which I took last weekend.

Immature STARLING

GREENFINCH - Female

COLLARED DOVE

Common Blue Damselfly - Male

Common Blue Damselfly - Male

Common Blue Damselfly - Male

Common Blue Damselfly - Male




No comments: