Tuesday 9 September 2014

The very pleasant weather continued today, giving me a chance for a full patch walk, in which I recorded an about average 45 species for the 4 visit.

Things were pretty quiet first thing, with around half a dozen Swallows, and a dozen Linnets at Migrant Alley ( Later during an afternoon visit I noted at least 35). MEADOW PIPITS flew over every few minutes, picked out by their call, it sounded like only singles or pairs of birds, but one group of four were seen, also, just one YELLOW WAGTAIL flew over the sheep pasture.

The Greenhouse Grounds had a CHIFFCHAFF feeding amongst a nettle bed, but that was it for summer species, however I did see 3 GREY WAGTAILS on the drainage ditch, a very good number to have here. The Greenhouse Copse had another Chiffchaff present, plus a small feeding party of BLUE TITS, GREAT TITS, and CHAFFINCHES.

I moved on to the Ashes Lane Field, noting 3 JAYS flying over and a HERRING GULL higher up, then searching the boundary hedgerow that separates the Ashes Lane Field and the Pub Field I found a LESSER WHITETHROAT feeding, I got a shot of it, but had inadvertently moved the dial on the camera and over exposed the shot, and you only get one chance with lesser whitethroats!

 Lesser Whitethroat

The Wet Woods had a TREECREEPER that sang a few times, plus a GREAT SPOTTED WOODPECKER that called, but little else was there today. On the lakes only a lone CANADA GOOSE had joined the MUTE SWAN family that were with the lone COOT, 5 MALLARDS and around 14 MOORHENS.

Another Lesser Whitethroat was found in the Scrubby Woods, along with the only two BLACKCAPS for the day, NUTHATCH, COAL TIT, BULLFINCH and STOCK DOVE all showed as well. Whilst there, I met a nice couple who live in a bungalow adjoining my patch and after some very pleasant conversation, they offered me the chance to survey there small wildlife friendly field, so i'll be adding that to my patch, i'll call it the Cuckoo Lane Field  :-)

As usual I ended my visit with a skywatch over on my seat at Migrant Alley, where I noted more Meadow Pipits going over, as well as another Yellow Wagtail and a few HOUSE MARTINS, BUZZARDS were up in good numbers, three being the most I saw together, plus good views of a HOBBY were had, the KESTREL pair were up hunting around the Greenhouses, and a SPARROWHAWK drifted over high up.

As I ate lunch, back at home, I took some photo's of the Nuthatch and STARLINGS that were coming down to my garden feeders, I also saw a pair of Blackcaps coming to feed on my berry laden shrubs, a WREN and a Coal Tit also visited.  :-)



Nuthatch


4 comments:

Marc Heath said...

Cracking Nuthatch shots. I might actually post something later tonight myself, works always in the way!!

Warren Baker said...

Thanks Marc,
I do like my Nuthatches !

Cant you go part time!!

Stringer said...

Superb nuthatch !!

Warren Baker said...

Cheers Stringer :-)