Thursday 11 September 2014

This morning was very dark and dreary, with heavy cloud cover and poor visibility.  There were, however, still a few nice birds about, the best being yet another WHINCHAT that was sitting on a paddock fence line at Migrant Alley. Also at Migrant Alley there were 75-100 STARLINGS on the sheep pasture, plus 70-80 LINNETS on a paddock, while overhead, I noted a couple of GREY HERONS flying over, as well as three CORMORANTS and a few single MEADOW PIPITS.

The Greenhouse Grounds had single CHIFFCHAFF and BLACKCAP present, as well as a GREY WAGTAIL again, a KESTREL that perched on one of the greenhouses was the only raptor seen on today's visit.

Over in the Scrubby Woods I found a mixed feeding flock, consisting of mostly BLUE TITS, but also seen with them were a couple of GREAT TITS, a TREECREEPER, 2 NUTHATCHES and 3 CHIFFCHAFF, all being led along by half a dozen LONG TAILED TITS. COAL TIT and BULLFINCH called from nearby, a JAY was seen, and a GOLDCREST gave song short bursts of song, it was good to see at least 4 SONGTHRUSHES here today as well.

Nothing of note was on the lakes, so I went back to my seat at Migrant Alley for a sky watch, which was very poor, just 3 SWALLOWS, a flock of 12-15 HOUSE MARTINS plus loads of HERRING GULLS were about the sum of it.

This afternoon, I was having a garden bird watch, and was surprised by what I encountered, for as well as the usual Tits, Finches, ROBINS, DUNNOCKS, Starlings, and COLLARED DOVES, etc. I also had a TREECREEPER and LESSER WHITETHROAT visit, both taking a liking to my Elder Tree, these are not new species to my garden, but are very rare visitors, however, I did get a new species to add to my garden bird list when an immature STOCK DOVE turned up, that also sat in the Elder tree  :-) It's the 55th bird species to use my garden in the almost 15 years Ive lived here  :-) Oh! and as I write this the SPARROWHAWK is chasing the GREENFINCHES all over the place, just took a photo of it again, but the lights poor, if they turn out reasonable i'll post them on tomorrows blog, until then I'll post up yesterdays Migrant Hawker shots  :-)






Migrant Hawker pair in 'mating wheel'

5 comments:

Noushka said...

Hi Warren,
I can only repeat how jealous I am of this mating wheel!! LOL!
They were willing to let you get close so these photos are fabulous. You managed the Depth of Field at perfection!
I still have the hope of seeing this species before the season is over! ;-)

Wilma said...

What Noushka said ...

Warren Baker said...

I got to within 60cm of them Noushka. Good luck in your quest to find a pair mating this year :-)

Warren Baker said...

Hi Wilma,
Pleased to see you are still visiting my blog :-)

Wilma said...

I never miss it, Warren, even if I don't always comment. I can count on good observations and excellent photography. If you see someone from Peru visiting, that would be me. For some reason our internet provider gave us a Peru IP address.