Monday 15 September 2014

Variable amounts of cloud moved across the sky on a cool NE wind this morning, but there were a few sunny breaks to be enjoyed too.

A GREAT SPOTTED WOODPECKER was heard to drum from the Wet Woods as I left the house first thing and a few minutes later a MISTLETHRUSH flew over Ashes Lane, they have been very scarce this month.

Migrant Alley has run dry of Whinchat and Wheatear, it may be a coincidence, but they stopped dropping in once the hedgerows were battered. I did get to hear a YELLOW WAGTAIL fly over though, then, at last, I recorded my first GREYLAG GOOSE (69) for the month, just one flew over in amongst a skein of 18 CANADA GEESE. The only other passage birds were the MEADOW PIPITS, at least 3 were in the sheep pasture, with more heard flying over every few minutes.

I walked the edge of the Maize crop at the Pub Field, where there was a group of 4-5 CHIFFCHAFFS along with the odd BLACKBIRD and a few CHAFFINCHES.

Chiffchaff - my only photographic effort of the morning, this one was at the Greenhouse Grounds

Over at the lakes the fisherman were still active, so nothing was of any note there this morning and the Scrubby Woods was a bit on the quiet side, TREECREEPER, NUTHATCH, COAL TIT, GOLDCREST and a lone male BLACKCAP were the best of it there.

Ending up on my seat at Migrant Alley for a sky watch, as I usually do, was an enjoyable 90 minutes. Once again I enjoyed views of HOBBY, 2 BUZZARDS, 2 KESTRELS and a SPARROWHAWK, plus a couple of GREY WAGTAILS that dropped down into the Greenhouse Grounds. The only 3 SWALLOWS of the day flew over, but also, I had the excitement of seeing the first SKYLARK (70) of the month fly past, 70 species for September now  :-)

2 comments:

Pete Woodruff said...

An excellent 'only photographic effort' with the equally excellent little Chiffchaff Warren.

Warren Baker said...

Cheers Pete,
It's getting harder each day to find a bird to pose :-)