Wednesday 13 April 2016

Another bright and sunny day, after initial mist and fog - proper spring weather  :-)


A view from Migrant Alley, across to ''Bustard Hill''

I spent 4 and a half hours this morning visiting the farmland parts of my patch, that is, the Pub Field, the ashes Lane fields, Migrant Alley and the Greenhouse Grounds. It proved an eventful visit, with the first YELLOW WAGTAIL (80,62) of the year heard, then seen as it flew over the sheep pasture at Migrant Alley, its arrival is on the same date as the first recorded last year, the earliest arrival for the 15 years of recording, the 15 year median average first date being the 20th April. There were 7 LESSER BLACK BACKED GULLS and a lone HERRING GULL feeding on the sheep pasture, but no ''chats'' out there today.

Another spring migrant had also arrived, this one at the Ashes Lane fields - the  WHITETHROAT (81,63) this is also an early arrival for this species on my patch, the joint third earliest, its median average arrival date is the 18th of April. The enjoyable visit was topped off by a flyover RED KITE, which flew over the Greenhouse Grounds, where the KESTREL pair were again seen. A sky watch produced plenty of BUZZARDS, a few single MEADOW PIPITS, SKYLARKS, GREYLAG and CANADA GEESE, GREY HERON, and at least 8 SWALLOWS, all local birds  :-)


Red Kite, no chance to get a decent photo, but this shows him well enough  :-)


A down side to the visit was seeing this Red Fox that had a snare round it's body. It doesn't matter what your opinion of Foxes is, this kind of ignorant, ''dont know what your doing'' kind of behaviour from some of the scum bag, local landowners / farmers is unacceptable.

6 comments:

Derek Faulkner said...

I had my first Whitethroat today, plus 1 Reed Warbler and a pair of Garganey and 4 House Martin.
As much as I condone controlling foxes in the countryside, for me it has to be done in an instant way, i.e. by shooting. I think that snaring is an appalling method of trapping them and there is no way that that method can be passed off as humane. I have always told the reserve management here that if ever I find snares put out then I will destroy them.

Lancashire and Lakeland Outback Adventure Wildlife Safaris said...

Having caught my foot in a snare once I can guarantee it's not a pleasant experience!
There is a current UK government e-petition to have them banned, won't stop the I'm above the law/I don't care about the law brigades but it should help https://petition.parliament.uk/archived/petitions/47626 can't believe it's only got 500 signatures after a little over three weeks.
Do the kites breed near you Warren?

Cheers

DaveyMan

Lancashire and Lakeland Outback Adventure Wildlife Safaris said...

Sorry wrong link there is a current one.

D/M

Warren Baker said...

Derek,
At least we agree on that subject - we'll have to be careful, thats at least two things on which I agree with you with!

Warren Baker said...

Davyman,
Kites breeding here - I wish, ! Maybe one day on the hills above my patch :-)

Lancashire and Lakeland Outback Adventure Wildlife Safaris said...

If only we had kites here, they haven't spread from their introduction site in south Lakes, wonder why?????

The current snares petition is here if your readers would like to sign it. I hope they do it is a vile practice that should have been outlawed many decades ago if not earlier! http://e-activist.com/ea-action/action?ea.client.id=122&ea.campaign.id=22552#_ga=1.172938659.1298156016.1460630991

Cheers

DaveyMan