Wednesday 20 April 2016

Long sunny spells were had this morning, but it felt cool in the cold wind when out of the sun!

My three hour visit this morning proved another disappointing one, with very little of note, when really there should be plenty to see, it being April. No new spring migrants were recorded and last weeks Whitethroat has moved on, leaving just the CHIFFCHAFF, BLACKCAP and SWALLOWS to represent the summer birds.

I noted two raptors today, BUZZARD and KESTREL, plus noted a GREY HERON fly over, that was all I wrote in my note book!

Some time was spent listening in the Scrubby Woods, but only the already mentioned Blackcap and Chiffchaff made it seem April like, I did enjoy trying to photograph the TREECREEPERS though, but not to the degree I would like !


Treecreeper. There are four pairs on my patch.

3 comments:

Derek Faulkner said...

Very warm 'safternoon out of the chilly wind, even managed a couple of hours sunbathing! Several Whitethroats are now back in their regular breeding place alongside the reserve.

Warren Baker said...

Derek,
Yes, out of the wind it was quite pleasant. The Whitethroats that arrive here find their regular breeding places are no longer!

Derek Faulkner said...

I'm sure that if we can get around 6-8 pairs of Whitethroats breeding in one small thicket no bigger than a football pitch then there must be all of that in your huge patch.