Wednesday 3 December 2008

I had a quick mid - morning walk round parts of my patch today, my back pain had subsided considerably. I first walked through the wet woods, but it was very quiet, probably due to the frosty conditions, I did notice a large amount of fungi about though. walking on, to the lake, I found it to be mostly frozen over, with just a small amount of open water under the tree overhang, it was here 4 MALLARD dabbled around and a GREY HERON fished. A MOORHEN called from somewhere in the bank vegetation, and SISKINS flew over, alighting in an alder tree, both new additions for the months list. I made my way over to Migrant Alley, where I saw 14 LAPWING, another addition to December, also a small flock of 5 YELLOWHAMMER, which were in the hedgerow. A couple of MEADOW PIPIT called as they flew up from the stubble, as did 3 SKYLARK, but there was no sign of any Linnets, and just 2 PIED WAGTAILS were around the greenhouse complex.

Above: A Female BLACKBIRD, feathers puffed out to keep warm
Above and below: Some of the fungi I saw in the wet woods, they could be the same species at different states of decay ? I don't know much about fungi!!


Below: frosty Bramble leaves

Below: The Frozen over Lake.
Below. Finished!! The Barn owl box is ready for mounting in the tree, near where the Barn Owl roosts. Quite how i'm going to get this up onto a tree will take some thinking about!







4 comments:

Greenie said...

Warren ,
The Pittswood Barn Owls will be the Posh and Becks of the Owl world if they take up residence ! What about a Barn (Owl new home) raising morning one weekend . 3/4 people , ladder , ropes and a means to anchor ' Chez P&B ' to the chosen tree . If you're up for it , put me on the list .
Don't take it as gospel , but I would go for Clitocybe geotropa for the top fungi and another of the family C.nebularis-Clouded agaric for the lower ones .
The offer on the Raising Morning of course is dependant on 'Chez P&B' passing through the kitchen door !

Steve said...

I'd be happy to meet up with you as well Warren one weekend and help out....maybe us bloggers should get together!

Ken. said...

Hi Warren. I would love to come and help you guys out but alas due to my disability I wouldn't be much use, apart from cheering you on. Still if I can't be there in person I will be there in spirit.Great box. Good luck.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Warren: What a neat shot of the Bramble leaves. you had some neat photos today. The owl nest looks great and it looks like you have some friends to help. Best wishes on the mounting and i look forward to seeing it in a tree.