Thursday 25 March 2010

Another nice afternoon at Pittswood - not!

A very disappointing day today, it was raining when I left for work ths morning and the only bird that I gave a second glance to was a lone REDWING, on the College sports pitch. The rain eased of during the morning, but, as has been the case most of this week, it was back as I left for home!

Once home I waited for half an hour for the rain to stop, consuming the rest of the bakewell tarts while I did so :-) . The rain eventually eased a bit so I set off out for a walk round the fields and paddocks of Migrant Alley. I didn't expect to see much in the conditions, but was hopeful of seeing a Swallow or Sand martin flying over, I didn't, and will have to wait another day for those.

Birds seen were; 2 CANADA GEESE in the empty sheep pasture, a GOLDCREST feeding and singing in a boundary hedgerow, where DUNNOCK, WREN, ROBIN and a few CHAFFINCH'S were also seen. Corvids and WOODPIGEONS were in with the sheep and lambs, along with 22 STARLINGS and that was my lot! Flyovers included LESSER BLACK BACKED, HERRING, and BLACK HEADED GULL, as well as the resident KESTREL, a Sparrowhawk was high in the distance off patch, as was a Peregrine.

Tomorrow looks better weatherwise - if the forecast can be believed, so hopefully i'll have a better post then!

When I left this morning at 06:30, there were two of These GREAT SPOTTED WOODPECKERS on my garden feeders, I also flushed one off when I came home from work, and there was another one at 17:00hrs this afternoon, there always seems to be one stuck to the sunflower feeder!




12 comments:

Chris said...

Hi Warren,
You have a lot of courage and are a brave man!! I'm tired of rain and fortunately, we now got two nice days. Let's hope it will continue and I hope you will get some sun soon.....

Lancashire and Lakeland Outback Adventure Wildlife Safaris said...

Can't beat a Cherry Bakewell and a nice cuppa when it's lashing down outside - great great spotted woodpecker pics btw

Cheers

Davo

FAB said...

Typical Spring weather Warren. Should be ok am tomorrow but pm might be a bummer! Take care.

Derek Faulkner said...

Warren,

Can you leave off birdwatching in the afternoons for a while so the rest of us can enjoy a decent afternoon's weather. It always seems to close in as you leave work.

Derek F.

Warren Baker said...

OK guys, i'll stay in and have a snooze tomorrow afternoon, give you all some sunshine :-)

Phil said...

Super 'pecker shots Warren. I get them on my peanut feeders regularly but i've never seen one on the sunflower hearts.
Good luck tomorrow, unfortunately i'm stuck at home so the weather should be good.

Mike said...

Yep soon be the light nights though, cracking shot of the WP.

Ken. said...

Hi Warren
Great photo's of the G/S/Peckers. They are so crisp and clear. Hopefully one day I will be taking shots that good.
Tomorrow is suppose to be the best day, so get out there and find those birds your after. I wish you luck.

Adam said...

Miserable wasn't - nice pics of Woodpecker though.

Adam

Anonymous said...

It`s been a unsettled week alright, Warren.

They reckon we`re in for a good summer. This year, i think it`ll be on a Tuesday ;-)

Jann said...

Very nice shots Warren, and such a sharp bird! Absolutely nothing but the finches are coming to our feeders, phoey!

Bill Benish said...

Such fine photos of the Great Spotted Woodpecker! I wonder if they have (or will have?) a nest near you.