Friday 8 February 2013

As yesterday, the day started bright and sunny, but the moment I got home from work it became overcast  :-(  The bonus was at least it wasn't windy.

Before I left for my afternoon walk to the lakes, I watched the garden feeders whilst eating my lunch, this proved fortuitous as the MARSH TIT (53) turned up, it spent a few minutes with the LONG TAILED, COAL, BLUE and GREAT TITS.

I set off for the lakes a few minutes later, and saw the KESTREL pair at the Small Holding as I passed through, I wonder why they have moved the 200 meters from the Tree Nursery to feed here ?  Walking through the Wet woods all was quiet, and only a pair of MALLARD were on the pools there. Getting to the lakes I could hear the sound of Geese, these turned out to be CANADA GEESE 4 of which were seen, with them was the feral BARNACLE GOOSE, 4 more Mallards, the COOT pair and 3 MOORHEN.

I wandered over to the Tree Nursery, where as yesterday, REDWING, SONGTHRUSH, GREEN WOODPECKER and a possible third Kestrel were found, but it may have been one of the pair seen earlier. Overhead a COMMON BUZZARD flew past with a bulging crop, then was joined by another, I attempted to get a photo, and managed a blurry image  :-) A SPARROWHAWK made it a trio of raptors for the afternoon as it sped past, putting up around 40 FIELDFARE  as it went over a field just off patch.

A look around the Greenhouse Grounds was notable only for 3 LESSER REDPOLL and a LITTLE OWL that was heard calling again from an adjacent large garden.

I'm looking forward to getting out tomorrow morning for a full patch walk, the likes of Yellowhammer, Skylark, Linnet and Greylag goose, all reasonably regular sightings here, are still yet to be found this month!
Common Buzzard, over the Tree Nursery
I had a short photo session in my garden late on, hoping for the Marsh tit to return, but it didn't, however, there were lots of BLUE TITS!


2 comments:

ShySongbird said...

Hi Warren :-) You have more owl encounters in a week than I have in a year!! Love the able Tit photo.

ShySongbird said...

Stupid, predictive text on iPad, should of course have been Blue Tit!