Tuesday 3 September 2013

Three hours were spent visiting my patch this morning, in some lovely September weather, even before leaving the house I had already added a new species to the months list, as I had heard a TAWNY OWL (56) 'kewicking' in the early hours of the morning, yep I even bird when I'm asleep!

During the three hour visit, which was spent over at the Greenhouse grounds, Migrant Alley, the Bean Fields and the Ashes lane Field, these habitats being the most productive part of my patch at this time of year, I found some good birds.

Whilst at The Greenhouse Grounds a GREY HERON (57) flew over, adding itself to the September list, back on the floor there were 3 WHITETHROATS and a BLACKCAP in a fully laden Elderberry bush, a CHIFFCHAFF called from an adjacent bramble patch, and the GOLDFINCH flock started to arrive, gathering to feed on the thistles. The Greenhouse roof was host to a lone KESTREL and around 20-30 SWALLOWS with just 2 HOUSE MARTIN. Another Whitethroat was seen in the Greenhouse Copse.

As I walked a circuit of Migrant Alley, 2 YELLOW WAGTAILS flew over, but that was it as far as migrants were concerned, until walking back from the Bean Fields, when I found yet another WHINCHAT on the fencline, its been a good year for this species on my patch  :-)
Whinchat At Migrant Alley, I'm still not able to get very close to one!
Whinchat, the second record this month, and the eighth so for this Autumn
The Bean fields were busier than of late, with at least half a dozen LONG TAILED TITS in the crop, along with 4 - 6 Chiffchaffs and a host of other species flitting about, including ROBIN, DUNNOCK, CHAFFINCH, BLUE TIT and GREAT TIT, no sedge warbler though unfortunately  :-(

Heading off over to the Ashes Lane Field I heard a LITTLE OWL call from the garden that I saw it in on Sunday, but I couldn't see it. Over in the Ashes Lane Field I was pleased to see the WHEATEAR had stayed into its third day, and along the hedgerow boundary, a WILLOW WARBLER (58) was seen, the first of the month  :-)

This afternoon I spent some time photographing Dragonflies again, and saw a BUZZARD go low over as I was doing so.
Migrant Hawker
Migrant hawker, these and Common Darter are about all that's left here now
Migrant Hawker, as you can see I filled my boots with images  :-)
Migrant Hawker
Migrant Hawker



5 comments:

Marc Heath said...

Beautiful shots, really smart Warren.

Warren Baker said...

Thanks Marc,
Very kind of you to say :-)

Anonymous said...

Close or nor, Warren...still nice sharp shots of the Whinchat.

Jason K said...

What a stunning Whinchat mate!

Warren Baker said...

Jase,
Aren't they all :-)