Tuesday 10 May 2016

Moderate rain fell for most of the morning, but it remained quite warm, with little wind.

In the poor conditions today I only spent 90 minutes out on my patch, but it proved worthwhile as I recorded my first GARDEN WARBLER (90,61) of the year when one was heard in full song from a well vegetated garden along High House Lane, the first spring record of this species on my patch since 2012! I also heard the first YELLOWHAMMER (62) of the month, it also sang along High house Lane.

A short sky watch at Migrant Alley was only noteworthy for a fly over HOBBY and to watch the male KESTREL hunting, although there were quite a few SWIFTS feeding high up too.

Only ten more species needed now to reach 100 for the year list, Spotted Flycatcher and Turtle Dove used to be recorded in every May, but even if they turn up that still leaves me well short of 100 species. Bonus species are needed!

1 comment:

Marc Heath said...

I have hoped for Garden Warbler too but so far, this species has eluded me. Like you, I need bonus species too although I reckon there's still a few species I may get.