Friday 18 November 2016

As there was an hour or so of sunshine this morning, I decided to try and get a few garden bird images rather than visit my patch. During the three hours I was watching and waiting, I recorded 21 species visiting the feeders, These were ; GREAT TIT, BLUE TIT, COAL TIT, LONG TAILED TIT, NUTHATCH, WREN, ROBIN, GOLDCREST, GREENFINCH, GOLDFINCH, CHAFFINCH, DUNNOCK, BLACKBIRD, SONGTHRUSH, STARLING, GREAT SPOTTED WOODPECKER, MAGPIE, JACKDAW, WOODPIGEON, COLLARED DOVE, SPARROWHAWK, plus I heard the LITTLE OWLS calling from the nearby Small Holding Area, where I saw the likes of JAY, CARRION CROW, FIELDFARE, GREEN WOODPECKER and PHEASANT from my vantage point at my upstairs window. Flyovers from HERRING GULL, BLACK HEADED GULL and PIED WAGTAIL made it 30 species for my window watch, that's only 11 species less than I recorded on yesterdays full patch walk, amazing that my 50 x 30ft garden can produce more species than all the acres of local farmland put together ! More species probably flew over, but I wasn't trying too hard  :-).

Oh! I did get a few images as well, not everyones favourite species of birds, but I took what I could get  :-)


Not the best angle, for the light, but an ok image of the Sprawk


It only stays for a few brief seconds, so I have to be quick deciding on the camera settings!


I dont get many Magpie images, so i was pleased with these two.


Even if I did chop its tail off !


The Jackdaw used the same perch as the Magpie, another species I dont get many images of






2 comments:

Pete Woodruff said...

An impressive window watch Warren, the statistics are quite amazing when you compare them to the 41 for a full patch walk.

Excellent images of your garden Sparrowhawk in the circumstances with poor light and little time to set your camera appropriately.

Warren Baker said...

Oh for a field of my own Pete, what could be achieved for the wildlife!