Thursday 9 June 2011

This afternoon was another blustery, showery one, with just one or two sunny intervals. I headed for the shelter of both the Wet Woods and Scrubby Wood, the former was of little interest, just a few JAYS, which I tried to track down to find some young, but they, if there, were well hidden :-)

The Scrubby Woods was sheltered from the worst of the wind, and a couple of Butterflies were seen - this Red Admiral below, was one of two seen, and the Speckled wood below it was one of four noted.



I sat and watched a bramble draped Elder tree, the nettles that were growing up through it provided excellent cover and food sources for a mixed flock of young birds, BLACKCAP, CHIFFCHAFF, BLUE and GREAT TIT all chased around in it. Nearby, both GREEN and GREAT SPOTTED WOODPECKERS were seen, and TURTLE DOVES were 'purring' . A pair of BULLFINCH flew into another dense bramble, but again, I failed to see any young with them.


On the lakes, just 3 MALLARD, a MOORHEN, a COOT and the family of GREYLAGS with 5 young were all that was seen, although as I scanned the water, I found a family of GOLDCREST above me in the dense canopy, I had views down to a meter, but it just too dark for a photo :-(


Walking back home was a bit of a hurried affair, as I was trying to get home before the arrival of the next shower which could be seen looming on the horizon, the only bird of note was the KESTREL.

I took these photo's of some of the young finch 's that were in my garden, before I went out. The amount of sunflower hearts being consumed is ridiculous, ive used 20kg in 6 days!!


Top is the young GREENFINCH. Middle is the young CHAFFINCH and Bottom is the young GOLDFINCH





10 comments:

Phil said...

What happened to the flaming June they were forecasting not so long ago Warren?
20KG of sunflower hearts in six days!! Can you afford to eat yourself??

Warren Baker said...

Flaming June, yea exactly Phil! It costs me 93 quid for 60kg of Sunflower hearts....per month! plus 13kg of peanuts :-)

Alan Pavey said...

Those birds are sure hungry Warren!!

Rohrerbot said...

Spectacular pics!!!

Derek Faulkner said...

Everything comes at a cost Warren - you want to impress all the time with your feeder pictures that many of us just dream about, you have to pay for it. I'm still using the 20kg bag of hearts I bought last September. I think the birds round here are on a diet, but I did have a family party of Blue Tits on my feeders this morning.
The heatwave June and July that was predicted went out of the window as soon as the Met Office agreed the forecast.

Lancashire and Lakeland Outback Adventure Wildlife Safaris said...

Kilo of sunny hearts lasts a month here Wwarren!

Been tryin unsuccessfully several times to leave a supportive coment for Dean but flippin blogger won't let me so hope he sees this hijack - chin up mate, hang in there!

Cheers

Davo

John said...

Hi Warren,
Some great photo`s there!
I may not be very popular here, but we desparately need the rain on my patch in Peterborough! We have officially been put in the drought category! Even with the odd shower we have had, it`s still bone dry everywhere!
J
Follow me at HEDGELAND TALES

Ken. said...

Hi Warren.
Looks like the showers are going to be with us for a few days yet.
The weather seems to be affecting everyone, nothing is being reported anywhere.
Also I am not surprised you are getting through so much food, yours must be the best bird restaurant in the area :-)

Anonymous said...

The sunflower hearts i`ve put out are not being touched, but the mixed seed on the table is being scoffed at a rate of knots.
Great pics again, Warren.

Dave : Seen it mate, and thanks for your concern. Much appreciated.

ShySongbird said...

Lovely photos again Warren. I do like Red Admirals, they always look so smart.

The birds are eating me out of house and home too, I daren't add up how much it is costing but it's a hell of a lot especially for the sunflower hearts !!