Thursday 8 October 2015

The weather had changed markedly today, with long sunny spells and a light SW wind.

In the better conditions I undertook a 5 hour full patch walk, in which 44 bird species were recorded, nothing new for the month was found, but there was plenty to keep me interested none the less.

The SISKIN / GOLDFINCH flock, of around 50-60 birds, were feeding in the Alder trees at the Greenhouse Grounds again, where they were joined by at least 5 LESSER REDPOLL, but just one GREENFINCH and 3 LINNET were associating with the flock. A CHIFFCHAFF called from the nearby nettle bed, the only one recorded today. The hundreds of GREYLAG and CANADA GEESE made their morning journey to somewhere south of my patch again.


Lesser Redpoll



There was a male BLACKCAP at the Scrubby Woods, where NUTHATCH, COAL TIT, LONG TAILED TIT, BULLFINCH, GOLDCREST, GREAT SPOTTED WOODPECKER, 3 MISTLETHRUSH and a few more Siskin were the best of the other species seen there today.

On the lakes just 40 or so Canada Geese, 2 Greylag Geese, 4 MALLARDS and 4 MOORHEN were present.

My sky watch back at Migrant Alley provided the rest of the more interesting species seen today, with the 3 regular raptor species all up hunting, the KESTREL around the greenhouses, the SPARROWHAWK around the sheep pasture at Migrant Alley, and the amazing sight of first 1, then 3, then five and finally 6 BUZZARDS all interacting low over the greenhouses / Ashes Lane Fields. SKYLARKS, MEADOW PIPITS and more Siskins were also seen flying over, along with small numbers of HERRING GULLS and BLACK HEADED GULLS .

Whilst at home, around midday, I noticed a Goldfinch on the Teasels in my garden, the very reason I planted them, enabling me some ''Goldfinch on teasel'' images  :-)  As I took a few photo's, I saw 2 Lesser Redpolls drop in and use the feeders, the 30th species to use my garden this year,but before I could even turn the camera on them, the Sparrowhawk came dashing through, narrowly missing the Goldfinch........ the Repolls left in a hurry and were not seen again! Also, of note, I had my first HOUSE SPARROW of the month in my garden.


Goldfinch On Teasel.


The light was coming from the wrong angle to please me though!


The nearby ROBIN was crying out to be photographed as well!

5 comments:

Derek Faulkner said...

Strange that your not getting many Linnets. Alongside the Swale NNR we have an almost permanent flock of up to 180 each day. They're feeding on a large patch of chickory and other wild seeds deliberately sown for them by one of those nasty farmer and shooting types.

Warren Baker said...

Derek,
There used to be a regular flock of 80-100 Linnets here every Autumn, before they moved on to their wintering Grounds. They no longer occur in such numbers due to the lack of weed seed / habitat, that the nasty farmers removed. :-)

Pete Woodruff said...

We get decent post-breeding flocks of Linnet in an area I cover Warren, but I've not had the good count of 250 in 2014 this year yet, with 150 my best count so far.

Pete Woodruff said...

Apologies for my deleted comment in your last post Warren, I posted the comment above there in error.

Warren Baker said...

No need for apologies Pete :-) I'm happy that you come and visit my pages!