Tuesday 19 January 2016

Clear skies overnight gave a moderate frost this morning, but the dawn brought with it cloudier conditions, which eventually cleared around 11:00hrs to give some pleasant sunshine.

I was out for just over 3 hours, most of that time was spent around the frosty fields looking for a possible Snipe, but none were found. I did however add a new species to the year / month list, when 2 LINNETS (62) were seen at the Greenhouse Grounds, a rare winter sighting, there were also a dozen each of SISKIN and LESSER REDPOLL there.

Whilst at Migrant Alley, a skein of 9 GREYLAG GEESE flew over, plus as I scanned the 60-70 BLACK HEADED GULLS there, I picked out 3 COMMON GULLS, a MEDITERRANEAN GULL, and 5 LAPWING among them.

Over at the Ashes Lane Fields I counted 4 MEADOW PIPITS and had a flock of 10 FIELDFARE fly over, the only winter thrushes seen today.

All three lakes were frozen over from bank to bank, so there was nothing to be seen there, then a look through the Scrubby Woods for a Woodcock only gave me a flock of LONG TAILED TIT and a few GOLDCRESTS of note, plus a SPARROWHAWK, that was probably why not much else was seen there!

Once I got home, the sun decided to come out, so I at least was able to get some 'blog brighteners' from the garden feeding station this afternoon, that is in between visits from the Sparrowhawk!   :-)


There were three of these GREAT SPOTTED WOODPECKERS fighting over the suet


Two were females


Pity the light hits my garden side on at the moment, give it a few weeks and the sun will be in better position for photographs


This BLUE TIT was the only visitor to my bird bath, I had hoped it would attract a few more species, it being the only open water around.



There are still a dozen Lesser Redpoll visiting


Plus at least one pair of COAL TITS. 


4 comments:

Marc Heath said...

Like you, i'm hoping this cold spell delivers a few extra species. Linnet is probably the only common bird I can't seem to get at the moment.

Warren Baker said...

Marc,
Linnets are almost a spring Migrant on my patch now!

Derek Faulkner said...

We have a permanent flock of up to 180 alongside the Swale NNR and a few Twite have been with them this winter. They feed all year round in the excellent cover strip of wild flowers and grasses that the farmer alongside puts in for them.

Warren Baker said...

Derek,
I wish we had proper farmers here :-(