Friday 15 January 2016

Patchy cloud obscured the sun at times this morning, when a keen NW wind made things feel chillier than of late.

I spent 3 hours out on my patch today, where I was pleased to add LAPWING (60) to my Year/Month list, 2 were seen out on the sheep pasture at Migrant Alley, mixed in with around 60 BLACK HEADED GULLS a couple of COMMON GULLS and a lone MEDITERRANEAN GULL. The January tally is now just 4 species off the average tally for the previous 5 Januaries and has reached the joint 9th best species total out of 15.

Other highlights for my walk included a flock of over 300 STARLINGS that fed on one of the Ashes lane Fields, with them were 30 or so FIELDFARE, 2 REDWING, 2 SONGTHRUSH and a MISTLETHRUSH, plus the usual half dozen MEADOW PIPITS were on the adjacent field.


Nuthatch ( from my Garden)

A lone CANADA GOOSE was the only visitor to the lakes, just the second record of this species for this January. A flock of 15 SISKIN were in the Scrubby Woods, along with TREECREEPER, GOLDCREST, NUTHATCH, BULLFINCH and COAL TIT.


Coal Tit ( Again, from my garden )


Coal Tit - (Another one from my garden)

The regular 3 raptor species were all seen up hunting, 2 BUZZARDS over the Wet Woods, a SPARROWHAWK at the Small Holding area, and the good old female KESTREL at the Greenhouse Grounds, where I also recorded a GREY WAGTAIL and 4 LESSER REDPOLL, only 4, as the other dozen or so were at my garden feeders !


The female KESTREL, as obliging as ever  :-)

4 comments:

Derek Faulkner said...

"Chillier than of late" - on the seawall of the marsh it was positively Siberian in the wind. The good point was that it was unbroken sunshine all day and at last an indication that the light is beginning to draw out.

Marc Heath said...

Like you, I also added Lapwing to the year list tonight. Some nice detail and lighting in those shots.

Warren Baker said...

Derek,
Standing in the fields of Migrant Alley, I had the warm sun on my back, but the cold wind freezing my fingers!

Warren Baker said...

Marc,
Got a few more Coal Tits images in that nice light to show still :-)