Thursday 4 February 2016


After early rain, this morning was mostly overcast, with a few bright spells, during which it felt very springlike.

I was on a mission today,  to find the two remaining regular species that can be found on my patch and add them to the months list. I found the first one -  PHEASANT (55) quickly enough, when a male was seen at the Ashes Lane Fields, where there were at least 200 winter thrushes, the FIELDFARE outnumbering the REDWING by 70-30 I reckoned  :-)

It took a little longer to find the second species - SPARROWHAWK (56) but one finally flew over Migrant Alley late in the visit, KESTREL and BUZZARD were also seen up hunting, making up the regular raptor trio to be found here. I was hoping to add the semi regular species of Cormorant and Grey Heron to the February list today, but they will have to wait for another visit - hopefully.

Other bits of note around my patch were 60 BLACK HEADED GULLS on the sheep pasture at Migrant Alley, plus a second, larger flock of winter Thrushes in a field off High House Lane, at least 250 were mixed in with 40-50 STARLINGS - quite a sight!

MEADOW PIPITS were again present at the Ashes Lane Fields, with a few more at Migrant Alley, the Wooded parts of my patch had the TREECREEPERS, GOLDCRESTS, MISTLETHRUSHES, SONGTHRUSHES, COAL TITS and STOCK DOVES all singing, plus a GREAT SPOTTED WOODPECKER was drumming, sightings of LONG TAILED TIT, NUTHATCH and a group of 5 BULLFINCH were also found.

Just 6 CANADA GEESE were on the lakes of any note this morning.

No photo's today, worse still the blog folder has run dry, I'll have to have another garden session if the sun appears!


2 comments:

Marc Heath said...

Not the best of weather today but the good times are just around the corner. I promise ........!!

Warren Baker said...

Marc,
I'll hold you to that promise!