Monday 22 February 2016

Steady rain and drizzle fell this morning, but the wind was virtually absent today.

In the dull and miserable conditions, just 90 minutes were spent out on my patch, a visit to the lakes was made first off, which produced, of note, a pair of MANDARIN DUCKS, just the second record of this species for 2016, also the MUTE SWAN pair, the lone COOT and the gang of 6 CANADA GEESE with the GREYLAG GOOSE plus its hybrid offspring were present.

As I scanned the lakes I could hear much singing and calling from the likes of ROBIN, WREN, DUNNOCK, SONGTHRUSH, MISTLETHRUSH, COAL TIT, GREAT TIT, TREECREEPER, NUTHATCH, BULLFINCH and CHAFFINCH.

Crossing the Ashes Lane Field, I saw the female KESTREL on the old shack, but didn't hear any Meadow Pipits. By the time I reached the Greenhouse Grounds the Kestrel had moved backed to her usual perch on one of the greenhouses.

A scan across the sheep pasture and paddocks at Migrant Alley, in some particularly wetting drizzle, at least produced four gull species - BLACK HEADED, HERRING, COMMON, and LESSER BLACK BACKED, there were also around 75 FIELDFARE and 100 STARLING seen out there, but no Redwings were noticed. As I looked across the fields to the tree line, I found two BUZZARDS sensibly perched up out of the weather, so I followed their example and headed off home for breakfast.

Once again no images for todays post, but the weather looks to be improving from tomorrow onwards, so I should get out and about with the camera - even if its just back to the garden birds!

3 comments:

Derek Faulkner said...

A thoroughly miserable morning and I was back on the reserve taking part in the monthly WEBS count. Not a good day for standing about with a scope but needs be.

Marc Heath said...

Better times lie ahead Warren. Just keep at it and rewards will come your way.

Warren Baker said...

Marc,
February is always the hardest month to get through!