Wednesday 16 March 2016

The weather remained mostly overcast for most of the day, with just the odd bright spell from time to time, but a moderate, cold, NE wind, made it feel cold.

I spent a little under three hours out on my patch, checking the lakes first off, where a pair of MANDARIN DUCKS were seen on the main lake. The MUTE SWAN pair and the COOT pair remain on the ornamental lake, plus the MALLARDS and MOORHENS were seen as usual, up to three pairs of CANADA GEESE came and went whilst I was there.

The Scrubby Woods and Wet Woods didn't provide the springs first migrant Chiffchaff, but with the wind blowing from the North I dont expect them to turn up yet, I had to be content with the likes of BULLFINCH, COAL TIT, LONG TAILED TIT, TREECREEPER, NUTHATCH, GOLDCREST, GREAT SPOTTED WOODPECKER, GREEN WOODPECKER, JAY and STOCK DOVE.

Out on the Ashes Lane Fields the wind was biting cold, but around 50 FIELDFARES, along with a few REDWINGS and  40 STARLINGS continue to feed on the sheep pasture. A pair of BUZZARDS flew across, heading for the Wet Woods.

The Sheep pasture and paddocks of Migrant Alley were paid a short visit, the cold wind made it particularly uncomfortable as it tore across the fields. I stayed there long enough to see the 2 MEDITERRANEAN GULLS and a lone LESSER BLACK BACKED GULL among the 2-300 BLACK HEADED GULLS, I also noted 2 single MEADOW PIPITS fly over. There was not, however, any sign of the KESTRELS at the Greenhouse Grounds today.

No pics today I'm afraid, no chance in this dull windy weather  :-(

No comments: