Friday 18 March 2016

This morning was overcast, dreary and quite chilly, even though the wind was lighter than recent mornings.

I set off this morning, on a three hour patch walk, hoping that today would be the day that my first spring Chiffchaff would be singing on my patch, but my luck was out again  :-( 

Whilst over at the lakes I was surprised to see both pairs of COOTS were still around, nothing else had turned up though, so it was just a case of checking out the MUTE SWANS, CANADA GEESE, MALLARDS and MOORHENS to see if there was any breeding activity, of which just the Mute swans have shown some of, the nest is built but not being used yet.

The male KESTREL flew over the lakes, but the female wasn't seen again today, the only other raptor species today was a BUZZARD that flew from the Wet Woods. LESSER REDPOLLS featured strongly during my walk, with a dozen birds seen at the Scrubby Woods, another 15 or so at the Small Holding, plus another half dozen at the Greenhouse Copse.

The sheep pasture at Migrant Alley continues to attract over 200 BLACK HEADED GULLS, with them the 2 MEDITERRANEAN GULLS were seen again for the fifth day running, but no other gull species were among them.

This afternoon, the day was brightened immensely for me, not by any sunshine, but by a cracking male BRAMBLING (70,62) that visited my garden feeders, a splendid way to reach the 70th species for the year list! I tried to get some images of it, but the light was too poor and I never got a clear shot at it, maybe it will hang around for another attempt.

All I have on offer photographically is a couple of Black Headed Gull images that i took yesterday at Migrant Alley.



6 comments:

Pete Woodruff said...

Nice Brambling record, I've not had the smell of one this winter.

Two excellent flap up/flap down shots of the BHG Warren.

Johnnykinson said...

Weather system blocking migrants ....need it to move Warren.

Derek Faulkner said...

Grey skies and N winds forecast until after Easter, really pissed off with it.

Warren Baker said...

Johnny,
it's been the same for the past 3 springs!

Warren Baker said...

Derek,
You're not the only one pissed off with it!

Warren Baker said...

Thanks Pete,
Bramblings are on the move it seems, so keep your eyes peeled :-)