Tuesday 1 December 2009

Today we had a 24 hour respite from the wind and rain, and for once it was sunny and calm............well it was sunny until I left work, when high cloud came over, but it did stay brighter than of late.

I did my usual winter walk this afternoon, and tried to get as many species on the December list as I could, I wanted to get off to a good start! I had already seen a few species on the walk home from work, BLACK HEADED GULL, PIED WAGTAIL, FIELDFARE, MISTLE THRUSH, ROOK, and JACKDAW all at Migrant Alley, as well as GOLDFINCH, SONGHRUSH, BLACKBIRD, COLLARED DOVE, WOODPIGEON, WREN, DUNNOCK, ROBIN, and MAGPIE all picked up at the college grounds, BULLFINCH was added as I walked along ashes lane, two were feeding in the adjacent Greenhouse grounds.

During the afternoon, BLUE TIT, GREAT TIT, CHAFFINCH, GREENFINCH and GREEN WOODPECKER were added to the list from the Small Holding, and the wet woods gave me a GREAT SPOTTED WOODPECKER, plus TREECREEPER, and MOORHEN, but still no Teal for this winter on the now full pools.

A party of LONG TAILED TITS flitted from tree to tree as I walked the footpath from the wet woods to the lake area, but I couldn't find any Goldcrest among them, there are not very many about on my patch this year. Arriving at the lake, I was wanting something exciting - Goosander would have been nice, but as usual I only got MALLARD for the list. Around the scrubby area I added JAY to the list, and saw more Bullfinch's, lots of them around this year, good to see. At the nearby garden feeders lots of common birds were seen, but the only ones I hadn't seen already were NUTHATCH, and HOUSE SPARROW. A flock of SISKIN that fed in an Alder tree with some Goldfinch's was good for the Dec. list.

I made my way over to Migrant Alley for the final 45 mins of the daylight, crossing the tree nursery on the way, there was a work party busy here, so not much was added to the list, apart from a CARRION CROW and, at last a STARLING! Where have they all gone ?

Once at Migrant Alley, I didn't have the time to walk the fields, but I saw a flock of 16 SKYLARK settle onto the sheep pasture as I took my seat, and a little later a STOCK DOVE flew over, as did a pair of LINNETS, but that was it for the daylist. I left at it was just getting dark, but as I cut through the Greenhouse grounds a LITTLE EGRET flew over, superb bird for the December list! Thats two in a week now, after not seeing one since July.

As I walked up ashes Lane for home, I saw the Linnet flock coming in to roost, at least 60 birds were swirling around, I watched them drop down, a few at a time each time they passed over a patch of bramble at the Greenhouse grounds, it was great to watch, but the traffic was a bit of a pain as it sped by unconcerned of such a spectacle. The last bird on the list for the day was a CORMORANT, a fortunate sighting, as one flew over as I watched the Linnets!

So thats 37 species to kick of Decembers list, a good effort in 2 hours!


Above is a Fox that I came across while watching the garden feeders at the house by the Lake.
Above is the Little Egret that flew over the greenhouses, a good sighting for any month on my patch.

Above: Sunsetting behind the Greenhouse Complex, with the tall hedge at Migrant Alley in the foreground


10 comments:

Fraser Simpson said...

Can't believe its December already. That's a great start to the final month, especially the Little Egret!

Chris said...

37 species in 2 hours, not bad at all. And you saw some nice ones...
Do not worry I'm not putting my blog on pause, I just get some pause from birds I guess unless I see something very nice around in a beautiful light but I'll concentrate more on traditions and Christmas in Iceland.

Jann said...

Nice Dec. start Warren, love the fox photo! That's one critter that eludes me, tho I've seen a few since moving to S Dakota. Love the little egret photo too; nice!

Anonymous said...

A good start then, Warren.
I`d gladly swap you double figure Goosanders for 1 Little Egret.

All the best for the rest of the month.

Greenie said...

Warren ,
Over half way on your December target already .
Heard both Fieldfares and Redwings today , but too busy hedgelaying .

ShySongbird said...

You've got off to a flying ;) start there Warren. Lovely fox photo!

Sharon said...

Great start to the month Warren. I know what you mean about the Starlings, I haven't seen any for months! Nice fox photo, we're still feeding our visitor every night but don't see him during the day to photograph.

Ken. said...

Hi Warren.
Nice going for the beginning of December, especially seeing the Siskins.
What is the target to beat for this month?

eileeninmd said...

Your are off to a great start. Loved the bird photos.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Warren: Love your fox photo even if it is soaked.