Friday 22 January 2010

It was raining all day today, sometims light, sometimes heavy, and whilst I was walking home from work it was of course, heavy!
I was eager to check the lake out, now it has thawed, so after a quick sandwich I put my wet coat back on - always a pleasure, (not) and set off out. Now all week my blog posts have been complaining of dire, dismall, gloomy, wet, dull and all the other adjectives I could think of to describe the weather, but today was the worst!!

It was bareley light, and the rain was steady, my walk to the lake was noteworthy for just one thing - two GREAT SPOTTED WOODPECKERS were drumming, marking out their territories, the first drumming I have heard this year. At the lake I heard GREAT and COAL TIT calling, but a long scan of the water and bankside vegetation was fruitless, not a single thing was seen, not even the Moorhens!

So that was that, I'd had enough, and trudged off home, wet and cold. I think it's going to be a difficult year this year! The last of the ''daylight'' hours was spent watching the feeders, but activity was below normal today, however it was good to see, both SISKIN and NUTHATCH come in to feed.

Tomorrow has got to be better, hasn't it ?

8 comments:

ShySongbird said...

It's been just the same here and the rain seems to be even heavier at the moment! Good news about the GSWs drumming, maybe they know something we don't about Spring approaching.

I noticed on Ken's blog you mentioned you haven't been getting your email alerts for your comments, something odd seems to be going on because all week I have been getting two alerts for each comment and it's getting annoying!

FAB said...

I went out, turned around and came back. Weather....give us a break..please.

Greenie said...

Warren ,
Dean sums up this weather very well in the first line of his Blog .
Tomorow must be better - hedgelaying in deepest Surrey .

Pete Woodruff said...

Fingers crossed for you that the weather 'picks up' soon Warren......you cannot go on like this!

Tony Morris said...

I didn't get further that the open window, it was dark and disgusting outside!

Jann said...

Hey, don't ask me...SLR camera is in the shop being cleaned, gone 2-3 weeks...and it was foggy gloomy today, UGH.

Anonymous said...

I think all these comments just about sum up everyones feelings towards our glorious weather ;-)

Lets hope there is some change in it soon Warren.

Unseen India Tours said...

This is environment and it has to balance so don't worry it would be normal soon !!