Monday 18 January 2010

The window of fine, bright, springlike weather that I enjoyed yesterday was slammed shut today, and it was back to the foggy dull conditions - oh well, it is winter after all!

This afternoon, after work, I walked my usual winter walk over to the lake via the Small Holding and wet woods, but instead of meeting with sweet sounding bird song as I left the house, I was assaulted by the noise of chainsaws, further down Ashes Lane yet another large mature garden was being destroyed, on orders of the new owner. I looked on with anger and sadness as 4 large Oak trees stood limbless, their trunks ready to be chopped down, various smaller trees and the associated habitat had already gone. :-( welcome to Pittswood whoever you are ! I dont look forward to meeting you............. Idiots!

Was I ranting again ? sorry!

Anyway, I carried on my walk onto the Small Holding, the buzz of the chainsaw only being interupted by the blast from nearby gas cannons used to scare the pigeons of the rape.....oops sorry slippped into rant mode again. In the small holding orchard, a flock of mixed GREENFINCH and CHAFFINCH flew up, around 20 in total, and a GREEN WOODPECKER was on a nearby lawn of a large house. Upon entering the Wet woods I was straight away met with a feeding flock of BLUE and GREAT TITS, accompanied by 2 TREECREEPERS. The woods are the wettest I have seen them, and most of the ice has gone from the pools and ditches, it was with yesterdays Teal in mind that I scanned all the water there, and bingo, a pair of TEAL were seen swimming off into cover.

Not much else of note was in the woods, so i went onto the lake area, to see how the water was getting on - still mostly frozen, with just small patches of water under the overhanging branches, where two MALLARDS were resting. I checked out the feeders in the nearby garden, and found all the usual stuff, GOLDFINCH, BULLFINCH, Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Blue Tit, Great Tit and a few SISKIN in the boundary Alders.

I decided I would go back into the wet woods again, and give them a proper look through, I found a large party of at least 16 LONG TAILED TITS, feeding along with the other common tits, one Great Tit was really giving me a hard scolding, using the alarm call of a Great Spotted Woodpecker! I'm sure this is the talented tit that was mimicking the Nuthatch the other day :-) Also with the flock were no less than 4 Treecreepers, thats six I have seen today! They were also very vocal with their alarm calls, mainly when they met up with one another.

Before Leaving for home I had a look in at the LITTLE OWL roost, it was home, and giving me that angry stare, so i left it in peace. Not much else to report today, no photo's, too dull and foggy, oh, the two male Siskins were on my feeders again today, but no sign of the Brambling.

8 comments:

Greenie said...

Warren ,
Definitely a back to reality day today , but , as you say , it is Winter .

ShySongbird said...

I'm glad there are people who care enough to rant Warren. I felt so upset about the Oak trees. When you think how long they must have stood there and provided habitat for so much wildlife! I think there should be some sort of law against it, mind you if there was they are probably the sort who would think it was worth paying the fine, do these ignorant idiots have no brains at all. There you are, you've got me at it now!!

Warren Baker said...

Well ranted Songbird !!

You're right about the age of those oak trees. they must have been over 100 years old, they have seen many a summers day, and been home to much wildlife, they have endured harder winters than most people can ever remember, and have now been destroyed in a single afternoon. It will come back to bite us - even us who love the wildlife.

Phil said...

I would have thought there would be protection orders on those trees Warren?

Ken. said...

Hi Warren.
It is a shame about the giant Oaks, It wouldn't surprise me if they was well over 100 years old. If they could only tell us what hey have witnessed from saplings.
On the bird front, still you did see some good birds, ie Treecreeper,Bulfinch.
PS. There is nothing like a good rant!

Anonymous said...

Nothing wrong with that rant Warren. It was justified, what with the trees in question being Oak. The most important species to a whole host of wildlife.

Steve said...

I would have thought those Oaks would have been subject to a tree protection order. Worth a call to T&M's tree protection officer. I called recently about a neighbours Tree of Heaven which is an invasive/foreign species with no wildlife value (actually inhibits growth around it) Tree is only 20 feet high and was told that it was covered by a TPO and couldn't be cut down (just pruned) Oaks MUST be covered unless they are dangerous (although bit late now I guess)

Chris said...

HiWarren,
I guess we are now all waiting for a blue sky and a warm sun, but it looks like it is not coming right now!!! I'm still amazed by the number of species you see on your walk. you surely are visiting a nice patch!