Monday 19 September 2011

I'm still feeling the effects of this cold virus, so very little in the way of birding was done today  :-(

I had a walk out over to the Tree Nursery around mid-day, more for a bit of fresh air than anything, and as this place is just a minute away from home it seemed like a good idea, but I was out for just 30 mins and felt crappy again so came home!

However it was not without some interest, I saw my first MISTLE THRUSH (70) of the month in the Nursery, and managed to see 5 species of butterfly in the strong sunshine - Small and Large Whites, a Small Copper, 3 Speckled Woods and a Red Admiral.

Dragonflies were more abundant than of late, with Common Darter, Migrant Hawker, and Southern Hawker all seen around the run off pool at the end of the Tree Nursery.

A trudge home had me half-heartedly looking at the sky, where a BUZZARD and KESTREL were seen up hunting, the only other birding today was done from the garden, where in between bouts of dropping off to sleep, I noted two CHIFFCHAFFS, and at one point 22 COLLARED DOVES were gobbling up the fallen sunflower hearts.
Small Copper


Common Darter



Garden Chiffchaff


4 comments:

Bob Bushell said...

Nice spotting Warren.

Jason K said...

Hope you start to feel a bit better soon mate.

Have I ever told you about all the Mistle Thrushes around Shenstone ;-)

Pete Woodruff said...

Don't like to hear of you not feeling well Warren....honest.

Get well soon is the message.

Anonymous said...

Well, you saw more in half an hour, than i did in two, Warren. I seem to be going through one of those barren patch`s.