Sunday 13 July 2014

With rain early on this morning, and my need to be home by mid morning, very little time was left to get out on my patch. All I could manage was an hour watching the sky for flyovers species from my seat at Migrant Alley. This didn't prove all that interesting, with just BLACK HEADED GULL, HERRING GULL, LESSER BLACK BACKED GULL, SPARROWHAWK, GREY HERON and a CORMORANT being of any note. The KESTREL family are still around the Greenhouse Grounds, I wonder how long it will be before they disperse ?

Tomorrows weather looks a bit more promising, so I should be able to get out for a full patch visit  :-)

Photo's today come from my garden feeders, taken whilst I waited for the missus to get ready for our trip out for the afternoon  :-)

This is a rare sight in my garden nowadays. A HOUSE SPARROW feeding its young

The GREENFINCH numbers have built up to six or seven now, massively down on the 70-80 that used to feed in my Garden ten years ago  :-)

GOLDFINCH numbers are steady at a dozen or so every day, but again, not the 50-60 I used to see

Back to the House Sparrows. This Male is sporting a set of colour rings, fitted by a ringing friend of mine when we did a study of the local House Sparrows. Its colour rings of White on the left leg and Purple over Orange on the right, indicates that this bird was ringed as an immature back on August 12th 2005, that makes him 9 years old, good going for a Sparrow!




2 comments:

Marc Heath said...

Nice backgrounds on those shots, especially the Goldfinch.

Pete Woodruff said...

Looks like we are having some of the best weather up here in't north and with the exception of a week last Friday when it bucketed it down all day it's been sun, sun, sun.

Nine year old House Sparrow....sounds good warren.