Thursday 22 January 2015

After not getting out at all yesterday, due to other commitments, I was eager to get out this morning despite the pretty cold and grey conditions.

I spent 4 hours out, getting round to do a full patch walk, in which a total of 41 species were recorded, a couple of species short of what could be expected on a January visit, missing species such as Nuthatch, Skylark, Pheasant and Coot were all probably out there though, I just didn't see 'em!

Nothing new was added to the year list, I cant believe I still await my first Siskin or Cananda goose! However there were still some nice species to see. I had good views of plenty of GOLDCRESTS in the Scrubby Woods and Wet Woods as well as the Greenhouse Grounds, at least 8 birds being present overall. The GREY WAGTAIL was at the Greenhouse Grounds, as were the KESTREL pair, I watched the female catch, then eat, a vole. The LITTLE OWL sat in the Greenhouse Copse where 4 REDWING were seen feeding in the leaf litter.

Early in the walk, 4 YELLOWHAMMERS flew over the Ashes Lane Fields, then moments later a SPARROWHAWK did the same, putting up a dozen MEADOW PIPITS and the MISTLETHRUSH pair that were feeding with a dozen more Redwing, the only FIELDFARE seen today were 4 flyover birds.

LONG TAILED TIT, COAL TIT, TREECREEPER, BULLFINCH, JAY, STOCK DOVE, GREAT SPOTTED and GREEN WOODPECKERS as well as the mentioned Goldcrest were all noted around the Scrubby Woods and lakes, but nothing was on the water to excite :-(

A party of a dozen, maybe 15 CHAFFINCHES were feeding in the Wet Woods, this time of year is the only time I see Chaffinch flocks, away from my feeders that is, I always scan through them just in case there is a Brambling among them.

Not much else about today, this afternoon brightened up slightly, allowing for some garden photography, not really light enough for best results though.........

Coal Tit

The above two Coal Tit Shots are probably among the best I have, just a shame it wasn't sat on something more natural, things rarely happen just right in wildlife photography!

Nice male BLACKBIRD

This Woodmouse was scampering around the ivy, where it's target was a seed feeder

Despite it being early afternoon, it brazenly sat out on the feeder scoffing the sunflower hearts

I'll not begrudge it a good feast though, for who knows, it may well end up as dinner itself for the local Kestrel or Owl  :-)

1 comment:

Pete Woodruff said...

The Wood Mouse is brilliant as are the images, a treasure for your garden Warren.

Also I think the Coal Tit is a brilliant small bird flying around the garden like a little rocket hiding all over the place the nuts and seeds it collects.