Friday 2 January 2015

I had another full patch walk this morning as the weather was fine, there are still a few of the semi  regular species to be added to the year list, like Mistlethrush, Treecreeper, Grey Heron, Sparrowhawk and Buzzard, but I didn't record any of them!

However, among the 42 species I did see, were a couple of crackers for the 2015 list, the first being 4 GOOSANDER (47) that were on the main lake, one being a superb male, but even better (in respect for my patch) was finding a male GADWALL (48) that was associating with them, I didn't get this species on last years patch list, indeed, it is only the fourth year I have recorded one!

I only added one other species to the year list this morning, when I found two COMMON GULLS (49) on the sheep pasture at Migrant Alley, they were with the wintering flock of BLACK HEADED GULLS there.

Other highlights for the morning were flyover LESSER BLACK BACKED GULL and YELLOWHAMMER, a LITTLE OWL at the Greenhouse Copse and the KESTREL pair at the Greenhouse Grounds, also noted were the MEADOW PIPIT flock at the Ashes Lane Fields, which is now 30+ strong  :-)

There was no light at all to photograph the Goosander or Gadwall on the lakes early on, but I did get a distant shot of a nice male BULLFINCH that was with a female at the Greenhouse Grounds, I also tried to photograph the Black Headed Gulls, but they were not very approachable!
Bullfinch






Black Headed Gull

2 comments:

Pete Woodruff said...

Distant or not the smart male Bullfinch posed nicely for you.

A HAPPY NEW YEAR to you Warren.

Warren Baker said...

Cheers pete,
Got to get some decent Bullfinch shots......before the leaves come back LoL