Sunday 3 August 2008

Another 4 hour visit from 06:30 this morning provided a few more birds than yeserday, 46 Species in all. I left in dry conditions, but by the time I had reached the golf course hedgerow, 20mins later, it was raining heavily, and I had just my flece and trainers on, DOH! I kept on however, and was pleased to see a flock of MISTLE THRUSH'S in a Large horse paddock just off cuckoo Lane, also, the only SKYLARK of my visit was seen here. On to the Lake and scrub area, where I saw 2 BLACKCAPS with a GARDEN WARBLER feeding in an Elder tree, nice little find. I went through the wet woods and got even more soaked by the dripping trees, I was glad to get to my house for a change into ''wet weather'' gear.
I started the second half of the walk with 35 species under my belt, the next species was a SONTHGTHRUSH, but the next sighting was most unexpected 3 COMMON TERNS (92) flew low over the Greenhouse complex and over Ashes Lane, another species for the year list. Common Terns are not seen every year over my patch, and I thought i'd lost the chance for this year, as I've not recorded one in August before, a good species to get, and it moves me a bit closer to the 100!
Migrant alley was quiet, but the scrub area on the northern end of it gave me good views of 2 LESSER WHITETHROATS, I should have brought the camera after all! Another good photo oportunity was lost when I found 2 male Banded demoiselles, I don't think in the dull light and blowing rain they would have Made good pic's anyway. The college grounds produced my first COAL TITS of the month, which with the Common Tern, Mistle Thrush, Garden Warbler, and Lesser Whitethroat, takes the monthly species total into the low 50's.

A brief afternoon visit, mainly to find and photo the Banded Demoiselles, was agian ruined by the rain, I did find a Banded Demoiselle, this time a female, but it didn't stop for a pic. The rain set in and I made my way home, but on the way I came across this sleeping Juv. JACKDAW, I took it's pic. and it woke up with a start and flew off.

5 comments:

Steve said...

Good to hear about the Common Terns Warren...worth keeping an eye out for Arctic Terns as well....

Warren Baker said...

Cheers steve,
I kept looking, but I couldn't make them Artic Terns!

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Warren: Nice list of birds your accumulating for August. Keep yourself dry on your walks.

Simon said...

Sounds like you had a super Sunday Warren. Welldone with the terns!

Travis said...

Once again a great post. I love seeing the green finch. I have never seen that before. Thanks for sharing it with us.